1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help With Friction Problem

1. Oct 20, 2005 #1
    I am not getting forces at all. I 'm not sure of what to do. Here's the question:

A box is resting on a flat surface. The box has a mass of 20KG and a force of 200N is pushing the box to the right. The force of friction acting on the box is 100 N to the left. What is the acceleration of the box?

I know that the sum of the forces=Mass X Acceleration. But im not sure what numbers to put in.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2005 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Consider the forces that act along the line of motion (left-right forces that is , the box is not moving up or down is it?). Call forces to the right "positive. Call forces to the left "negative." What is the sum of all the left-right forces? (Hint: it involves a little mathematical trick called "subtraction.")
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?