How Do You Calculate Acceleration with Friction Forces Involved?

• Thread starter StaticShock
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the question asks about the acceleration of a box resting on a flat surface with a mass of 20KG, a force of 200N pushing to the right, and a force of friction of 100N pushing to the left. The sum of the forces along the line of motion can be calculated using the equation: sum of forces = mass x acceleration. The problem involves subtracting the force of friction from the pushing force to determine the acceleration.
StaticShock
I am not getting forces at all. I 'm not sure of what to do. Here's the question:

A box is resting on a flat surface. The box has a mass of 20KG and a force of 200N is pushing the box to the right. The force of friction acting on the box is 100 N to the left. What is the acceleration of the box?

I know that the sum of the forces=Mass X Acceleration. But I am not sure what numbers to put in.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the forces that act along the line of motion (left-right forces that is , the box is not moving up or down is it?). Call forces to the right "positive. Call forces to the left "negative." What is the sum of all the left-right forces? (Hint: it involves a little mathematical trick called "subtraction.")

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your friction problem. I can see that you have correctly identified the equation for calculating acceleration using force and mass. To solve this problem, we need to first draw a free body diagram to visualize the forces acting on the box.

In this case, we have a force of 200N pushing the box to the right, and a force of 100N acting in the opposite direction due to friction. We also know that the box has a mass of 20KG.

To find the acceleration, we can plug these values into the equation you mentioned:

Sum of forces = Mass x Acceleration

In this case, the sum of forces is 200N - 100N = 100N (since the force of friction is acting in the opposite direction).

So, we have:

100N = 20KG x Acceleration

To solve for acceleration, we can divide both sides by 20KG:

100N/20KG = Acceleration

Acceleration = 5 m/s^2

Therefore, the acceleration of the box is 5 m/s^2.

I hope this helps you understand how to approach friction problems. If you have any further questions or need additional help, don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work with your studies!

Best,

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

2. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either slow down or stop the motion of an object, or it can cause the object to move in a different direction.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction?

The amount of friction is affected by the type of materials in contact, the surface area of the contact, and the force pressing the surfaces together.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using a lubricant, such as oil or grease, between the two surfaces or by making the surfaces smoother.

5. What are some real-life examples of friction?

Some examples of friction in everyday life include walking on the ground, rubbing your hands together to create heat, and using brakes to stop a car.