1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help with Integral : undefined function integrand

1. Jun 28, 2012 #1
    [itex]\int_0^{y-x} (y-x)^3f[x] dx[/itex]

I really don't know what integration method that should be used to solve this. I would really appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction, this problem is frustrating me! I tried integration by parts but it doesn't really get me anywhere.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does f[x] mean? No hope of working the problem without knowing.

4. Jun 29, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The whole problem makes no sense. In addition to f being undefined, you should not have the "integration variable", x, in the upper limit of integration- it makes no sense to say that x varies from 0 to x- y.

5. Jun 29, 2012 #4
    OK thanks for the help. I guess the problem I have has some typos.

I have a related question though referring to the Integral theorem under http://www.atp.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/rt1/syscontrol/node145.html

I'm confused about the work at the integration by parts. It looks like he sets [itex]u = \int_0^t f[\tau] d\tau[/itex] and [itex]dv = e^{-st} dt[/itex], so that he ends up with [itex]du = f[t]dt[/itex]. I'm not following how to go from u to du.

6. Jun 29, 2012 #5
    Let the antiderivative of [itex]f[/itex] be [itex]F[/itex].

By the fundamental theorem of calculus,

[tex]\int_0^t f(\tau) \; d\tau = F(t) - F(0)[/tex]

Clearly, the derivative of this result is [itex]F'(t) = f(t)[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook