Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need Help with Integral : undefined function integrand

1. Jun 28, 2012 #1
    [itex]\int_0^{y-x} (y-x)^3f[x] dx[/itex]

I really don't know what integration method that should be used to solve this. I would really appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction, this problem is frustrating me! I tried integration by parts but it doesn't really get me anywhere.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does f[x] mean? No hope of working the problem without knowing.

4. Jun 29, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The whole problem makes no sense. In addition to f being undefined, you should not have the "integration variable", x, in the upper limit of integration- it makes no sense to say that x varies from 0 to x- y.

5. Jun 29, 2012 #4
    OK thanks for the help. I guess the problem I have has some typos.

I have a related question though referring to the Integral theorem under http://www.atp.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/rt1/syscontrol/node145.html

I'm confused about the work at the integration by parts. It looks like he sets [itex]u = \int_0^t f[\tau] d\tau[/itex] and [itex]dv = e^{-st} dt[/itex], so that he ends up with [itex]du = f[t]dt[/itex]. I'm not following how to go from u to du.

6. Jun 29, 2012 #5
    Let the antiderivative of [itex]f[/itex] be [itex]F[/itex].

By the fundamental theorem of calculus,

[tex]\int_0^t f(\tau) \; d\tau = F(t) - F(0)[/tex]

Clearly, the derivative of this result is [itex]F'(t) = f(t)[/itex].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook