Can You Self-Study Advanced Mathematics and Physics While Working Full-Time?

In summary, The speaker is a mathematics major who will graduate soon but has had difficulties with grades due to emotional problems. They have a strong interest in geometry and mathematical physics, particularly black holes and cosmology. They plan to continue studying and possibly do research on their own, but are unsure of which subjects to focus on and in what order to learn them. They also have accumulated debts from their undergraduate studies and may try applying to graduate schools again in a few years.
yenchin
Hi. I am a mathematics major and will graduate soon in a few months time. I came into the university 4 years ago with a dream of obtaining a good degree and pursue a PhD afterwards. Unfortunately things did not go smoothly, and I basically screw my grades up because of emotional problems and all that, with a D+ in my Ordinary Differential Equations and subsequently another D in my second course in Algebra (I have average of B in most mathematics courses, with a few A) :cry: In my third year I took Differential Geometry and realized that my main interest lies in geometry and geometrical aspects of physics, but unfortunately my department does not have much courses in these areas.

I will be graduating soon with at best, only a Second Lower Honours, and as expected I had been rejected by the graduate school in my own university.

Anyway I am better off getting a job first because I have accumulated lots of debts from my undergraduate study loan which does not allow me to defer even if I get into graduate school. However I have a strong interest in geometry and mathematical physics which refuses to die :-p ... so I figure that I should continue to study anyway and perhaps do some research on my own when I am ready, whether or not I go into graduate school. I will still be able to consult my professors whenever necessary, but I am not sure how feasible self-study is when I have a job to do :confused:

Also, I am not sure what subjects should I master. I should probably re-learn algebra first since I barely passed the second course. My main interests are in black holes and cosmology, but I have not done any physics courses except Relativity and basic astronomy. How much should I master, say, Classical Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Electrodynamics, Quantum Field Theory etc.? As for mathematics, I have background in Functional Analysis, Differential Manifolds, Complex Analysis and the standard undergraduate courses, and I did my Honours Project on Riemannian Geometry. I am thinking of learning Hyperbolic Geometry and Lie Groups. In what order should I learn all these? For example, should I learn Lie Group and Lie Algebra before Quantum Mechanics? And is there any other subject that I should definitely learn?

I would appreciate any suggestion. :smile: Maybe after I clear my debt in a few years time I will try applying to graduate schools again... though I am not sure whether I can go anywhere with my lousy transcript. :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
How about this http://www.a-star.edu.sg/ ?

it looks good, only some pictures that might be ugly in your eyes. It's just an explicable fact that there are not enough diversity in the area. I am too myself an Asian though,...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

I understand your frustration and disappointment with your grades and the rejection from graduate school. However, it's important to remember that setbacks and challenges are a natural part of any academic journey. It's commendable that you have identified your interests in geometry and mathematical physics and are determined to continue studying and pursuing research in these areas.

Self-study is definitely a feasible option, especially with the support of your professors. It's important to create a structured and realistic study plan that takes into account your job responsibilities and financial obligations. Start by identifying the areas you need to improve on, such as algebra, and then gradually build on that foundation by studying more advanced topics like Lie groups and quantum mechanics. You can also look into online courses or textbooks that can supplement your self-study.

In terms of the order in which you should learn these subjects, it's best to consult with your professors and seek their advice. They can provide valuable insights on the connections between different topics and the most effective way to approach them. Additionally, don't be afraid to reach out to other experts in your field for guidance and advice.

As for your transcript, it's important to remember that it's not the only factor that graduate schools consider. Your passion and determination, as well as any research or projects you have undertaken, can also make a strong impression. So don't let your grades discourage you from applying in the future.

Overall, I would advise you to create a realistic and structured self-study plan, seek guidance from your professors and other experts, and continue pursuing your interests and passion for geometry and mathematical physics. Best of luck to you!

Related to Can You Self-Study Advanced Mathematics and Physics While Working Full-Time?

1. What is a self-study plan?

A self-study plan is a personalized schedule or roadmap for learning and mastering a particular subject or skill on your own, without the guidance of a teacher or instructor. It involves setting specific goals, identifying resources and materials, and organizing your study time effectively.

2. Why is a self-study plan important?

A self-study plan is important because it helps you take control of your own learning and become a more independent and self-motivated learner. It also allows you to tailor your study methods and pace to your individual needs and learning style, leading to a more effective and efficient learning experience.

3. How do I create a self-study plan?

To create a self-study plan, start by identifying your goals and learning objectives. Then, assess your current knowledge and skills in the subject and determine what resources and materials you will need to achieve your goals. Next, create a schedule or timeline that outlines when and how you will study, and make sure to incorporate regular review and practice sessions. Finally, be flexible and make adjustments as needed.

4. What are some tips for sticking to a self-study plan?

To stick to a self-study plan, it is important to set realistic goals and expectations for yourself. Break down your study sessions into smaller, manageable chunks and take breaks when needed. It can also be helpful to find a study partner or join a study group for accountability and support. Lastly, remember to stay motivated and reward yourself for reaching milestones or completing tasks.

5. How do I know if my self-study plan is effective?

The effectiveness of your self-study plan can be measured by regularly assessing your progress and understanding of the subject. This can be done through self-quizzes, practice tests, or by seeking feedback from others. If you are consistently meeting your goals and seeing improvement in your knowledge and skills, then your self-study plan is likely effective. If not, reassess and make necessary adjustments to improve its effectiveness.