Need help with series-parallel circuits research paper

In summary, the individual is currently studying an electrical technician degree at a tech school and is about to start learning about series-parallel circuits. They have been assigned a research paper on the topic and are wondering if they can use books as a reference and write the paper in their own words. They are also seeking web links for additional resources. However, it is important to note that this is not a research project, but rather a project where it is acceptable to use external sources. The recommended book for reference is "The Art of Electronics" by Hill and Horowitz, but high school books and a simple Google search can also provide helpful information. It is also important to include a bibliography at the end of the paper and to consult with the course
tony8404
Hello everyone, i just started a electrical technician degree at a tech school. right now were about to start with series-parallel circuits...but we need to write a research paper on it. i have never done a research paper not even in high school. so my question is can i read a book or two on series parallel circuits and then write the paper in my own words and use the books as a reference? from what i heard from some friends is that i am supposed to do this as if i was learning it ... should this paper be written as if i was going to read this paper and learn series-parallel circuits from the reading?

if not does anyone have any web links >?thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
What you are indicating is not a research but a project. Research is something that is original and discovered/invented by you, not copied from any book.

For your purpose, you can surely refer to a book. A good book on electronics is The Art of Electronics by Hill and Horowitz. But you can find series and parallel circuits in any high school book. Also do a google search; there will be hundreds of sites providing you with good information.

Generally in such a project, a Bibliography is attached at the end where the references are mentioned. If you're not sure, you should have a word with your course instructor.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is a series-parallel circuit?

A series-parallel circuit is a combination of both series and parallel circuits. This means that some components are connected in series, while others are connected in parallel. It is commonly used in electrical systems to achieve a balance between voltage and current.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series-parallel circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a series-parallel circuit, you need to first calculate the total resistance of the series components, then calculate the total resistance of the parallel components. Finally, you can use the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn to find the total resistance of the entire circuit.

3. What is the purpose of using series-parallel circuits?

The purpose of using series-parallel circuits is to have the benefits of both series and parallel circuits. Series circuits allow for easy control of current, while parallel circuits allow for control of voltage. By combining the two, a series-parallel circuit can balance both voltage and current, making it useful in a wide range of applications.

4. How do I simplify a series-parallel circuit?

To simplify a series-parallel circuit, you can use the equivalent resistance method. This involves finding the total resistance of the circuit using the formula mentioned in the second question. Then, you can replace all the series components with a single equivalent resistor, and all the parallel components with a single equivalent resistor. This will reduce the complexity of the circuit and make it easier to analyze.

5. What are some real-world applications of series-parallel circuits?

Series-parallel circuits are commonly used in household electrical systems, automotive systems, and electronic devices. They are also used in power distribution systems to balance voltage and current. In addition, they are used in renewable energy systems, such as solar panels and wind turbines, to optimize the power output of the system.