1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with solving currents using mesh analysis

1. Sep 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2uivnva.png

i cant write the problem text as it is a circuit

2. Relevant equations

I labelled the meshes as clockwise shown on the image
    KVL: The sum of voltages around a loop equals zero

3. The attempt at a solution

i1 = 8A

i2: 19(i1 - i2) - 5.54(i2-i3) = 0

i3 = 1.7A (I created a supermesh around the 1.7A current source - inside the BLUE square)
    Supermesh equation => i3 - i4 = 1.7A

i4 = 0

i5: (I used KVL around the outside of the blue square)
    5.54(i2 - i3) -0.5i3 - 0.29(i4 - i5) -12.6(i4 - i5) - 0.5i3

Can some verify these equations and check they are correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

But you can at least state what circuit values are required, right? Is it just the mesh currents? Some particular voltage drops? Maybe the power consumed by certain components? Don't leave us guessing!

Okay so far...

Your supermesh constraint equation is good but your "conclusion" that i3 = 1.7A is unfounded. How did you conclude that i3 = 1.7A and that i4 = 0?

No, that doesn't look right; it's not even an equation (no "=" sign). Check what current is actually flowing through the 500m resistors; Looks like i4 to me. Also, what happened to the voltage source in the the supermesh loop? Also, you need to write a separate equation for the i5 loop; Two voltages sources there!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted