1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beginner Circuitry Analysis - Assistance Appreciated =)

1. Mar 5, 2014 #1
    HrEiw3y.jpg

I'm given that i1=5.4A and i2=1.5A. I know that I need to apply mesh-current and then nodal-voltage analysis, but I have never dealt with two current sources. It seems like however I set it up, I am missing a piece.

My first attempt at a KVL equation using mesh analysis incorrectly established that the voltage differences V1 and V2 both had to be zero. Unless there is a voltage difference over a current source, I do not know where to start a correct solution.

Here was my first set of equations in full, with my currents numbered 1-4, left to right, in the clockwise direction.

KVL 1) (i1-i2)(40)=0
    KVL 2) (i2-i1)(40)+(i2)(80)+(i2-i3)(80)=0
    KVL 3) (i3-i2)(80)+(i3-i4)(120)=0
    KVL 4) (i4-i3)(120)=0

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2014 #2

donpacino

Gold Member

current source #1 is defined as i1
    current source #2 is defined as i2

you redefined i2 as i4. in the future it would be better practice to call the current from left to right i1,i3,i4,i2...

now that being said you are making this very difficult to solve. by adding the currents i3 and i4, you are adding extra variables to solve.

If i were you, I would writ 2 KCls, then use the resulting equations to solve for v1 and v2

4. Mar 5, 2014 #3

FOIWATER

Gold Member

You won't need mesh and nodal, just use nodal

5. Mar 5, 2014 #4
    Am I on the right track now? I took the 'just use nodal-voltage analysis' advice.

pEFlLfE.jpg

For Va) [(Va-Vb)/8]+[Va/40]-[5.4]=0
    For Vb) [(Vb-Va)/8]+[Vb/80]+[Vb/120]+[1.5]=0

Solving that, Va=96V and Vb=72V

Solving for V1 and V2 in the original problem, I again get V1=96V and V2=72V. This seems right to me. The final circuit satisfies KCL and KVL for all loops and nodes. Can somebody please verify for me?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  6. Mar 5, 2014 #5

donpacino

Gold Member

Your method is correct!

I did not check the arithmetic.

7. Mar 5, 2014 #6
    Alright, I'll double check the arithmetic because that is certainly not your job :)

Thank you to everyone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted