Need help with sorting a Python dictionary.

In summary, the conversation discusses sorting a Python dictionary based on its values and returning the ordered list as the keys. The proposed solution involves creating an inverse dictionary, sorting its values, and returning the keys in order. However, the issue of identical values and the potential loss of combinations is raised and a workaround is suggested by adding one to the value if it is repeated. A code example is also provided.
zeion

Homework Statement

Hi there,

I need to sort a Python dictionary based on its values which are ints, then return the ordered list as the keys.

I am thinking to make the inverse of the dictionary, take values and sort, then map back with the inverse dictionary.

The problem is that when there are identical values, the inverse dictionary will not store the same value twice as the same key.. so a combination is lost.

I tried to work around it by adding one to the value if the value is repeated, which should not change the sorting.. but am having trouble writing the code.

Any help?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Technology news on Phys.org
Let's say you have the following dictionary: d = {'a': 1, 'b': 2, 'c': 3, 'd': 2}You can create an inverse dictionary like this:inv_d = {v: k for k, v in d.items()}Then you can sort the values of the inverse dictionary and return the keys in order like this:sorted_keys = [inv_d[key] for key in sorted(inv_d.keys())]This should return the list ['a', 'd', 'b', 'c'].

1. How can I sort a Python dictionary alphabetically?

To sort a Python dictionary alphabetically, you can use the built-in sorted() function. This function takes in a dictionary as an argument and returns a list of sorted key-value pairs.

2. How do I sort a Python dictionary by values instead of keys?

To sort a Python dictionary by values, you can use the sorted() function again, but this time, you can specify a key parameter to indicate which value to use for sorting. For example, you can use lambda functions to specify the value you want to sort by.

3. Can I sort a Python dictionary in descending order?

Yes, you can sort a Python dictionary in descending order by using the reverse=True parameter in the sorted() function. This will reverse the order of the sorted list.

4. What if my Python dictionary has nested dictionaries?

If your Python dictionary has nested dictionaries, you can still use the sorted() function to sort it. You just need to specify the key parameter to indicate which nested value you want to use for sorting.

5. Are there any other ways to sort a Python dictionary?

Yes, there are other ways to sort a Python dictionary, such as using the operator.itemgetter() function or using the collections.OrderedDict class. You can also create your own custom sorting function if needed.