Does anyone know why a mosquito can see in the dark?

• Thread starter 1234
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses why mosquitoes are able to see in the dark and the role of carbon dioxide in their ability to locate a host. The conversation also mentions other animals, such as bees and snakes, that have specialized vision abilities. It is suggested to post this question in a biology forum for more information.
Need help please

Does anyone know why a mosquito can see in the dark?
(stupid physics teacher gave me this topic to research on)
please help

Physics news on Phys.org
I do know bees and some species of shrimp see in ultraviolite light, its called "bee's purple," and some snakes see heat too. Try posting this again in the biology forum. It might help. :wink:

Ohhhhh, I think I know what you're talking about.

Mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide, exhaled by most animals with blood. So, they know where someone is in a dark room because they can sense the varying degrees of the intensity of how much, carbon dioxide.

Another example is the infamous, deadly South American Kissing Bug. The name comes from its how it feeds. It feeds at night, attracted to carbon dioxide, it sucks blood by an animal's cheeks and/or lips while it is sleeping.

really? so then it has nofin to do with they eyes

1. What makes mosquitoes able to see in the dark?

Mosquitoes have a specialized structure in their eyes called ommatidia, which are sensitive to light and allow them to see in low light conditions.

2. Do all mosquitoes have the ability to see in the dark?

No, not all mosquitoes have the ability to see in the dark. Certain species, such as the Anopheles mosquito, have this ability while others do not.

3. How does a mosquito's vision work in the dark?

A mosquito's vision in the dark is similar to how a human's night vision works. They have a pigment called rhodopsin in their eyes that becomes more sensitive to light in low light conditions, allowing them to see better in the dark.

4. Can mosquitoes see color in the dark?

No, mosquitoes are not able to see color in the dark. Their vision is limited to shades of black and white.

5. Why do mosquitoes need to see in the dark?

Mosquitoes are most active at dawn and dusk, when light is low. Being able to see in the dark helps them navigate and find food sources during these times.