What Are the Best Resources for Learning About Automotive Body and Trim?

In summary, the person is looking for study material on automotive body and trim design, as well as information on collisions and the physics of car parts. They are open to any recommendations for websites, books, or other sources of knowledge. The conversation also includes a link to a website with articles on car design and suggestions for books on the topic.
Zlogo
Hi!

I have recently started working at an automotive company at the body and trim section and I feel like learning everything about the area. I have had trouble finding good study material at the library and with my searches on the internet so therefore I ask you guys for some help.

From start I would like to learn about the basics of the body, purposes of the different parts and their design, things like that. Also calculating and understanding about collisions. But generally everything since I don't really know which area I would like to focus on.

Tips on all kind of sites, books & other information sources that could give me that kind of knowledge which i am looking for is welcome!

/Zlogo

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I found this website that has links to many articles related to car design that may be of interest. You'll have to poke around to see if it has what you're looking for.

http://www.carbodydesign.com

For the physics of collision, there are some basic physics principles but I don't know offhand some resource that relates car parts to the physics of collision other than bumpers and airbags.

Thank you guys! As for the collision part, I meant like the science about steel plate and deformation, stuff like that.

If you think of something that may be useful, just post it!

1. What is the importance of having automotive knowledge?

Having automotive knowledge is essential for several reasons. First, it allows individuals to understand the basic workings of their vehicle and perform basic maintenance and repairs, saving them time and money. Additionally, it can help prevent accidents and breakdowns by being able to recognize warning signs and address them before they become major issues. Furthermore, having automotive knowledge can also give individuals a sense of empowerment and independence in being able to take care of their own vehicle.

2. Is automotive knowledge necessary for everyone?

While having automotive knowledge can be beneficial for everyone, it is not necessarily necessary for everyone. If you do not own a vehicle or do not plan on performing any maintenance or repairs yourself, having automotive knowledge may not be a top priority. However, it is always helpful to have a basic understanding of how vehicles work and how to handle emergency situations.

3. How can someone gain automotive knowledge?

There are several ways to gain automotive knowledge, such as taking classes or workshops, reading books or online resources, or even hands-on experience through working on your own vehicle or helping someone else with theirs. Many community colleges and trade schools offer courses in automotive technology, and there are also plenty of resources available online for those interested in learning more.

4. Can having automotive knowledge save me money?

Yes, having automotive knowledge can save you money in the long run. By being able to perform basic maintenance and repairs yourself, you can avoid costly trips to the mechanic. Additionally, having knowledge about your vehicle can help you make informed decisions when it comes to purchasing parts or services, potentially saving you money on unnecessary expenses.

5. Is it important for non-mechanics to have automotive knowledge?

Yes, it is important for non-mechanics to have at least a basic understanding of automotive knowledge. Even if you are not planning on performing any repairs yourself, having knowledge about your vehicle can help you communicate effectively with mechanics and understand the work that is being done on your vehicle. It can also help you make informed decisions when it comes to purchasing a new vehicle or maintaining your current one.