Need recommendation for beginner QM book

In summary, the conversation is about finding resources to learn quantum mechanics from the beginning. The person asking the question has a limited understanding and is looking for a starting point that explains the concepts in simpler terms. Suggestions are given for books and websites, with a recommendation to start with a basic understanding of calculus and classical physics. The conversation also touches on the spiritual aspect of quantum mechanics and the suggestion is made to start with more concrete resources before delving into spiritual interpretations.
Upandcomer
Can someone give me a link to a site that can teach me from the start in finding it hard to find something as you would in say a class room

Physics news on Phys.org
Upandcomer said:
Can someone give me a link to a site that can teach me from the start in finding it hard to find something as you would in say a class room
Could you be a little more vague? I recognize all the words in your sentence but in that particular order, they don't make any sense to me.

Likes Demystifier, smodak, SredniVashtar and 3 others
phinds said:
Could you be a little more vague? I recognize all the words in your sentence but in that particular order, they don't make any sense to me.
Just somewhere to start it's hard to find the info on the net it either tells you in all the technical terms and I don't understand the technical terms yet so basically I want to start at a point where I'm learning the lingo and learning about quantum physics and progress them together

Upandcomer said:
Just somewhere to start it's hard to find the info on the net it either tells you in all the technical terms and I don't understand the technical terms yet so basically I want to start at a point where I'm learning the lingo and learning about quantum physics and progress them together
If you are far enough along in your studies to start seriously studying quantum mechanics I find it inexplicable that you could not find a beginning text on the subject.

Try a forum search here. There are several threads that make book recommendations.

Had you made the subject line of your post "need recommendation for beginning QM book" you would likely have good answer already.

phinds said:
If you are far enough along in your studies to start seriously studying quantum mechanics I find it inexplicable that you could not find a beginning text on the subject.

Try a forum search here. There are several threads that make book recommendations.

Had you made the subject line of your post "need recommendation for beginning QM book" you would likely have good answer already.
Alas.. sorry friend but this is a start and thanks for that appreciate you taking time out of your day to help

From your profile, it seems that you have at least completed high school. If this is the case and you took at least beginning calculus, I recommend Griffiths.

Dishsoap said:
From your profile, it seems that you have at least completed high school. If this is the case and you took at least beginning calculus, I recommend Griffiths.

Books like Griffiths and Liboff are good. With insufficient math background and often weaknesses in classical mechanics, students often struggle.

The Feynman lectures provide an alternate view that can be fruitful in those cases:

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/III_toc.html

What is your current knowledge of math and physics?

In US universities, many or most students get their first exposure to QM as part of an "introductory modern physics" course which is intended to follow a standard two-semester intro physics course covering classical mechanics, E&M, optics, and thermodynamics. Typical textbooks (there are others):

Krane
Taylor / Zafiratos / Dubson

These assume that you already know basic classical physics (energy, momentum, etc.) and some calculus. After a course like this, students move on to a full-on QM course using e.g. Griffiths.

Likes tec and Dr. Courtney
I would suggest Susskinds book: Quantum Mechanics The Theoretical Minimum. It's written for folks who had an interest in the QM in college but lacked the math or majored in something else and after 20 years they want to learn about it again.

You may need some background in Calculus and pre Calculus concepts and for those I'd suggest the Mathispower4u.com website which covers math from 9th grade to first year college.

Your quest to understand Quantum Mechanics and Neuroscience is both noble and daunting. It will require a lot of patience and doing a fair amount of problems to understand the subject. Please be aware though that as interesting and profound as QM and Neuroscience are, you are unlikely to find the spiritual answer that you are seeking in the end.

Last edited:
Likes Dr. Courtney
A little easier than Griffiths and not so spiritual is French and Taylor https://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Quantum-Physics-M-I-T-Introductory/dp/0393091066.

As preparation for French and Taylor, you could try earlier books in the series like
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393099709/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/8123909144/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Beiser's book is also good https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008UBHN38/?tag=pfamazon01-20

None of those are spiritual. If you want something spiritual, then you have to try https://www.amazon.com/dp/0750635398/?tag=pfamazon01-20 or https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471569526/?tag=pfamazon01-20. But there is nothing wrong with starting from the concrete.

Likes SredniVashtar and Dr. Courtney

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic levels. It describes the principles that govern the behavior of particles such as electrons, protons, and photons, and how they interact with each other.

2. Why is it important for beginners to learn about quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a fundamental theory that helps us understand the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. It has applications in various fields, such as electronics, chemistry, and even biology. Learning about it can provide a deeper understanding of the world around us.

3. What are some recommended beginner books on quantum mechanics?

Some popular books for beginners on quantum mechanics include "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, "Quantum Mechanics: A Gentle Introduction" by Mark Beck, and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths.

4. What background knowledge is necessary to understand quantum mechanics?

A basic understanding of mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra, is necessary to understand quantum mechanics. Some knowledge of classical mechanics and electromagnetism may also be helpful, but not required.

5. Are there any online resources available for beginners to learn about quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for beginners to learn about quantum mechanics. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. There are also many YouTube channels and podcasts dedicated to explaining quantum mechanics in a beginner-friendly manner.