Engineering Student Seeks Advice on Water Ball Project

• Thread starter wuki1
  • Start date
In summary, the engineer student is introducing ideas for a water ball to be used in case of a flood. Some of the ideas are based on real-world technology, but others are more fanciful.
wuki1
Hello, i am engineering student in my first semester and in my course we have to do a project to present, the professor picked the ideas for each group and my group got what he called a water ball. This water ball is basically supposed to be a ball that you can throw into your basement in case of a flood and it gets rid of the water, now he said we can be as creative we can be using things that haven't been made yet but i would like some input.
These are my ideas so far:
1)A ball that has a check valve so the water goes in but doesn't come back out, the problem is I do not know what to do with the water inside.
2)Some kind of heating device installed in the ball so when let's say way flows in it heats up and makes the water evaporate
3)A mini black hole kind of so water goes in and than just disappears.
4)A kind of pokeball in a sense you throw it and the ball just absorbs it by, not sure but maybe minituarizing it or the ball just has a huge amount of space inside but is small on the outside.
5)The last idea i have so far instead of one ball it is many let's say 20 1cm x1cm sized balls that absorb water and expand to let's say 10 times their volume so when you throw in 20 it absorbs a big amount of water.

I know this is a big read and these ideas are mostly fictional but I would like some input on which you think is the best candidate to use, Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The idea of a project is that you come up with ideas and work them out, not strangers on the internet. If you have questions or problems, you should ask your professor.

1. What is the purpose of the water ball project?

The purpose of the water ball project is to design and build a device that can hold and transport water in an efficient and sustainable manner.

2. What materials are typically used for the water ball project?

Some common materials used for the water ball project include plastic or rubber balls, waterproof adhesives, waterproof fabric or plastic sheets, and a container or pump for filling and emptying the ball.

3. How does the water ball project work?

The water ball project typically works by filling the ball with water and sealing it shut with a waterproof adhesive. The ball can then be rolled or transported to a desired location, and the water can be released through a small opening or pump.

4. What are some potential challenges or considerations for the water ball project?

Some potential challenges for the water ball project include ensuring the ball is completely watertight, finding a suitable and sustainable method for filling and emptying the ball, and ensuring the ball is able to withstand the weight and pressure of the water.

5. How can I improve the design of my water ball project?

To improve the design of your water ball project, you can consider using more durable materials, testing and adjusting the size and weight of the ball, and incorporating features such as handles or straps for easier transport. It may also be helpful to gather feedback from others and make adjustments based on their suggestions.