Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some help regarding phase and group velocity of a wave

1. Apr 8, 2008 #1

ehj

I'm currently working with lasers and in relation to that, fiber optics. In the book I'm reading there's a section regarding modes and their "group velocity". The text claims that there is the following relation:
    [tex] v_g=v_p * sin(A) [/tex]
    where [tex] v_g [/tex] is the group velocity and
    where [tex] v_p [/tex] is the phase velocity and A is the incident angel as showed on the picture, although denoted as theta there.
    From the picture you can see that the relation is reached by using trigonometry, and [tex] v_g [/tex] is in this case simply the velocity in the direction along the fiber. My question is, if this is the general idea of group velocity? I thought group velocity was the velocity of the "amplitude wave" in a wave packet? Am I wrong, or are there just different meanings of group velocity?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2008 #2

ehj

Here is the picture!

Attached Files:

4. Apr 8, 2008 #3

pam

v_g found that way would be the velocity of the envelope of a wave packet.
    It is the velocity of energy flow along the fiber direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?