The Truth About Half-Life and Interest Rates

In summary, Tritium gun sights have a half-life of 12.3 years, which means they will be about 50% as bright after that time. After 6 years and 2 months, they will be approximately 75% as bright. However, there is often confusion when talking about decreases, such as saying "one quarter as bright" instead of "three quarters less bright." This can also be seen in other contexts, such as describing temperature or interest rates.
thetexan
So I'm getting ready to buy some Tritium gun sights that will glow in the dark. The advertisement says Tritium has a half life of 12.3 so the sights will be about half as bright (50%) after 12.3 years.

I'm wondering how bright they will be after 6 years and 2 months...will they be one quarter as bright?

tex

Physics news on Phys.org
Simple estimate would be 75 %, but 70.7 % (square root of one half) is accurate.

thetexan said:
I'm wondering how bright they will be after 6 years and 2 months...will they be one quarter as bright?
That's 1/4 LESS bright, not "as" bright.

russ_watters said:
That's 1/4 LESS bright, not "as" bright.
Yes - "Threequarters as bright".
This way of stating things is getting very common - particularly when describing the cost of things but it is potentially very confusing. It is a shame that decreases are not expressed in fractions of the original (or possibly percentage).
"Reduced to 75%" or "reduced to 3/4" of the original can't be misconstrued.
Even worse is "A hundred times less", instead of "one hundredth". This is used throughout the media and must be a nightmare for children, learning to do arithmetic. It's also a great way to hoodwink innocent consumers and voters.

Don't get me started. My local weatherman told us this morning "It's 46 degrees now, that's twice the normal 23 degree morning temperature for December 18..."

Likes russ_watters and PietKuip
gmax137 said:
Don't get me started. My local weatherman told us this morning "It's 46 degrees now, that's twice the normal 23 degree morning temperature for December 18..."
Could be worse. It could be half the normal temperature for December 18 ...

Likes PietKuip
And answer me this one: then the bank manager tells you that the interest he's charging you has only gone up by 1% (i.e. from 1% to 2%) how has he the nerve not to admit that the cost has actually increased by 100%?

What is half life?

Half life is the amount of time it takes for a substance to decrease by half of its original amount through radioactive decay.

How is half life calculated?

Half life is calculated using the formula t1/2= (0.693/k), where t1/2 is the half life, and k is the decay constant.

What is the difference between half life and mean life?

Half life is the time it takes for a substance to decrease by half of its original amount, while mean life is the average time for all the atoms in a sample to decay.

Can half life be changed?

No, the half life of a substance is a constant value that cannot be changed or altered.

What factors can affect half life?

The type of substance, temperature, and pressure can all affect the half life of a substance.