Need suggestions for PhD on Computational Physics

In summary, the conversation revolves around the search for a PhD program or research group in computational physics, specifically in the field of condensed matter physics. The individual is a first-year MS student at Miami University and is interested in both experimental and theoretical work. Suggestions are made to search for recent papers and investigate different groups, with a mention of potential overlap with theoretical chemistry. The individual expresses interest in solid state physics and materials science and engineering.
Abdul Quader
Though there are several posts regarding Compuational Physics, I think my post is a little bit different from them. Currently I am doing my MS in Physics in Miami University and I am in my first year. I am searching a PhD program/group who work experimental and theoretical (computational) work in Condensed Matter Physics. I am doing a research on magnetism lately. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's pretty broad. May I suggest you do some google scholar searches, find recent papers of interest, and investigate the groups that did the work.

Thanks Dr. Courtney. I am trying. I am a newbie. I tried to start this kind of work here at Miami University but couldn't.

Computation CM also overlaps with theoretical chemistry. Many programs would allow you to be in the physics department while doing research with a professor in that area. What kind of CM are you interested in? There are actually a lot of really good people at Rutgers, many doing stuff involving ferroelectrics and some computational work on topological materials.

Hi Radium,
Thanks for responding. I am in the physics department. I want to work in a group who does work both on experimental and theory by themselves. I want to learn the experimental physics and computation work. What do you mean by "kind" - i don't understand, sorry. If you are talking about overlapping with theoretical chemistry, then I say I don't want that. Yeah, the research topic you mentioned attracts me as well. If you more info please help me, I find it hard to find papers using google scholars.

Last edited:
I understand what kind means now--------- I am basically interested in solid state physics/materials science and engineering.

1. What is computational physics?

Computational physics is a branch of physics that uses computer algorithms and numerical methods to solve complex problems in physics. It involves using mathematical models and simulations to study physical systems and phenomena.

2. What are some potential research topics for a PhD in computational physics?

Some potential research topics for a PhD in computational physics include developing new algorithms and techniques for solving complex physical problems, studying the behavior of complex systems such as fluids or materials, and using computational methods to analyze data from experiments or observations.

3. What skills and background are necessary for a PhD in computational physics?

A strong background in physics, mathematics, and computer science is necessary for a PhD in computational physics. Proficiency in programming languages such as Python, MATLAB, or C++ is also important, as well as knowledge of numerical methods and algorithms.

4. Can you suggest any specific research areas within computational physics?

Some specific research areas within computational physics include quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics, condensed matter physics, statistical mechanics, and astrophysics. Other emerging areas include computational biophysics and computational neuroscience.

5. What are the potential career opportunities for someone with a PhD in computational physics?

Individuals with a PhD in computational physics have a wide range of career opportunities, including positions in academia, research laboratories, government agencies, and industry. They can also pursue careers in fields such as data analysis, finance, and engineering, as their skills in problem-solving and data analysis are highly valued in many industries.