Negative Energy Density in EM Waves?

In summary: WjzA9ktSzIUIn summary, the conversation discusses a complex equation for the relative permittivity of a good conductor and the use of an approximation based on the values of conductivity and frequency. The main concern is the calculation of the energy density of the E-field and the potential for negative values due to the introduction of a pi/2 phase shift. The possibility of negative energy density in relation to a moving medium is also mentioned.
jeffbarrington

Homework Statement

The problem I have is that we are asked to show the complex relative permittivity of a good conductor is erc = 1 + i(sigma)/(omega*epsilon_0) where sigma is the conductivity and omega is the frequency of an electromagnetic wave in the medium. This is fine, I calculated it, the equation is given, it must be right. Now, we are also told that sigma is much greater than omega*epsilon_0, so the approximation it invites us to make is that erc = i(sigma)/(omega*epsilon_0). I think this is probably right so far.

The problem comes now. I am asked to find the energy density of the E-field in the wave. This is given by u = (1/2)E.D. Of course, this uses real values. I think Dc = erc*epsilon_0*Ec, and then I just take the real part of Dc to get D. However, the complex relative permittivity (assumed totally imaginary in our approximation) introduces a pi/2 phase shift, turning what was, say, a cosine in the E-field to a sine in the D-field. When I do (1/2)E.D, this results in something of the form sin(x)cos(x) (x being wave stuff) which boils down to something of the form sin(2x), which can of course be negative. Is all of this allowed? What has gone wrong if it isn't?

Physics news on Phys.org
jeffbarrington said:
However, the complex relative permittivity (assumed totally imaginary in our approximation) introduces a pi/2 phase shift, turning what was, say, a cosine in the E-field to a sine in the D-field.
You are mixing a possible time-dependence and complex phases here. The phase difference between D and E is fixed and smaller than 90°, so the product will never be negative.

image.jpg
mfb said:
You are mixing a possible time-dependence and complex phases here. The phase difference between D and E is fixed and smaller than 90°, so the product will never be negative.

The product of two sinusoids less than 90 degrees out of phase can be negative though - what about sin(3.2415...)*sin(3.2415...-pi/4) or something like that? That is definitely negative.
mfb said:

To be sure, here's my working, I can't see the error. Also, the product of two sinusoids which are less than 90 degrees out of phase can certainly be negative, what about sin(3.2415...)*sin(3.2415...-pi/4) or something like that? Anyway, it's near enough exactly 90 degree phase difference here. Sorry if I'm missing something from your reply.

jeffbarrington said:
The product of two sinusoids less than 90 degrees out of phase can be negative though - what about sin(3.2415...)*sin(3.2415...-pi/4) or something like that? That is definitely negative.
This phase is not their complex phase! This can be phase in time or space, but this does not matter for your local energy density. E stays real, so D keeps its positive real part.

mfb said:
This phase is not their complex phase! This can be phase in time or space, but this does not matter for your local energy density. E stays real, so D keeps its positive real part.

I have a feeling this would only work if it were true that D = ercE, where D is complex and E is real, otherwise things mix together like I have done. If this were the case, I'd have D = contant*cos(pi/2)*E which seems fine. However, my notes claim that the E-field is also complex in the equation given.

Hmm... then energy density has to be something like the magnitude of the product, or the scalar product if you interpret the complex plane as two real axes (so D*E = |D|*|E|*cos(theta) with the angle theta between E and D).
Otherwise even a real e would lead to a negative energy density for imaginary E.

jeffbarrington said:

Homework Statement

The problem I have is that we are asked to show the complex relative permittivity of a good conductor is erc = 1 + i(sigma)/(omega*epsilon_0) where sigma is the conductivity and omega is the frequency of an electromagnetic wave in the medium. This is fine, I calculated it, the equation is given, it must be right. Now, we are also told that sigma is much greater than omega*epsilon_0, so the approximation it invites us to make is that erc = i(sigma)/(omega*epsilon_0). I think this is probably right so far.

The problem comes now. I am asked to find the energy density of the E-field in the wave. This is given by u = (1/2)E.D. Of course, this uses real values. I think Dc = erc*epsilon_0*Ec, and then I just take the real part of Dc to get D. However, the complex relative permittivity (assumed totally imaginary in our approximation) introduces a pi/2 phase shift, turning what was, say, a cosine in the E-field to a sine in the D-field. When I do (1/2)E.D, this results in something of the form sin(x)cos(x) (x being wave stuff) which boils down to something of the form sin(2x), which can of course be negative. Is all of this allowed? What has gone wrong if it isn't?

According to the theory for a plane wave in a moving medium, negative EM energy density can occur when the medium moves opposite to the wave vector at a faster-than-dielectric light speed. See: http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/10.1139/cjp-2015-0167

What is negative energy density in EM waves?

Negative energy density in EM waves refers to a phenomenon where the energy density of an electromagnetic wave is negative at certain points in space. This means that the energy at those points is less than the energy at surrounding points.

How is negative energy density in EM waves measured?

Negative energy density in EM waves is measured using mathematical equations, specifically the Poynting vector, which calculates the flow of energy in an electromagnetic field. A negative value for the Poynting vector indicates negative energy density.

Is negative energy density in EM waves a real phenomenon?

Yes, negative energy density in EM waves has been observed and measured in various experiments. It is a well-established concept in physics and is supported by mathematical equations and empirical evidence.

What are the implications of negative energy density in EM waves?

The implications of negative energy density in EM waves are still being studied and debated. Some theories suggest that it could be harnessed for various applications, such as creating "invisibility cloaks" or even powering spacecraft. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential implications.

How does negative energy density in EM waves relate to dark energy?

There is currently no proven connection between negative energy density in EM waves and dark energy. While both concepts involve negative energy, they are thought to be separate phenomena with different origins. Dark energy is believed to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe, while negative energy density in EM waves occurs on a much smaller scale.