Negative sign or not in calculations?

In summary, when calculating vectors or scalars, it is important to carefully consider the meaning of the symbols being used and whether or not they represent a magnitude or a vector. In general, it is recommended to keep the signs in calculations, as they can provide important information about direction. When it comes to charge, the negative sign should be included in calculations unless the problem specifically states otherwise.
Ivore
Hi , this may been asked quite a bit times but I can't really find a solid answer for this.
Do we have to include negative signs during calculations for vectors or scalars?

I have been told by someone that for vector quantity calculations such as Force we do not include the negative sign or positive as we have to indicate the direction in a separate sentence however for Scalar we will have to indicate it as it does not have a direction

However I have also been told by someone else that it is actually the other way round where we include negative signs for Vectors and not for Scalars.

So can someone please clarify this with me?
Thanks a bunch

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean with "include negative signs"?

Both vectors and scalars can have signs, those can be positive or negative.

Likes Ivore
mfb said:
What do you mean with "include negative signs"?

Both vectors and scalars can have signs, those can be positive or negative.
For example in a calculation for electric force and electric field strength I was told to omit the sign of the charges while for electric potential and electric potential energy I was told to include it in.
Also for F=ma , if my acceleration was a negative one (deceleration) I was also told to omit it from my calculation for force.

In general, keep signs. If you know exactly which direction some force has and if you don't care about the other direction, it can be possible to ignore its sign, but always at your own risk then.

Ivore said:
Also for F=ma , if my acceleration was a negative one (deceleration) I was also told to omit it from my calculation for force.

You don't need the sign if you are only interested in the magnitude of the force but in general you will need the sign to work out the direction of the force. It may come down to the wording of the question. Best keep the sign during calculations then think about what it means before giving a final answer.

Ivore said:
Hi , this may been asked quite a bit times but I can't really find a solid answer for this.
Do we have to include negative signs during calculations for vectors or scalars?

I have been told by someone that for vector quantity calculations such as Force we do not include the negative sign or positive as we have to indicate the direction in a separate sentence however for Scalar we will have to indicate it as it does not have a direction

However I have also been told by someone else that it is actually the other way round where we include negative signs for Vectors and not for Scalars.
It depends on the meaning that you give to the symbols you write: if with "F" (for example) you mean "vector force" or "i-th component of the vector force", then you don't have to give it a sign at the beginning, because the sign is "contained" in the symbol itself.

But if instead with "F" you mean "modulus of the vector force" or "modulus of the i-th component of the force", then you have to know in advance which is the direction of the vector force or of that i-th component and you have to give the proper sign to F.

Example: if with F you mean ||Fx|| and positive x is what you have choosen for positive values of components, you have to write -F if you already know (or you intend to consider) that the vector force is directed as the negative x.

For this reason in physics' problems it's very important to start having a very precise idea of the meaning you intend to give to the symbols you write.

--
lightarrow

lightarrow said:
It depends on the meaning that you give to the symbols you write: if with "F" (for example) you mean "vector force" or "i-th component of the vector force", then you don't have to give it a sign at the beginning, because the sign is "contained" in the symbol itself.

But if instead with "F" you mean "modulus of the vector force" or "modulus of the i-th component of the force", then you have to know in advance which is the direction of the vector force or of that i-th component and you have to give the proper sign to F.

Example: if with F you mean ||Fx|| and positive x is what you have choosen for positive values of components, you have to write -F if you already know (or you intend to consider) that the vector force is directed as the negative x.

For this reason in physics' problems it's very important to start having a very precise idea of the meaning you intend to give to the symbols you write.

--
lightarrow
CWatters said:
You don't need the sign if you are only interested in the magnitude of the force but in general you will need the sign to work out the direction of the force. It may come down to the wording of the question. Best keep the sign during calculations then think about what it means before giving a final answer.
Thanks for the responses. What about charge? Do I include the negative sign of -1.60x10^-19 when calculating charge or just 1.60x10^-19?

mfb said:
Include it.
But if I do include it and say I get a -6000C, and the question then asks me to calculate the energy transmitted , and if I use the formula V=E/Q, wouldn't I end up getting a negative energy?

Energy transmitted from what to what?
Usually the problem statement asks for a direction where the energy change is positive, or asks for the magnitude of the energy change. Anyway, if your charge is negative then things will have the opposite sign compared to a positive charge, you cannot ignore that.

mfb said:
Energy transmitted from what to what?
Usually the problem statement asks for a direction where the energy change is positive, or asks for the magnitude of the energy change. Anyway, if your charge is negative then things will have the opposite sign compared to a positive charge, you cannot ignore that.
Alright thanks a lot once again!

1. What is the purpose of a negative sign in calculations?

A negative sign in calculations indicates a decrease or subtraction of a quantity from another quantity. It is used to represent a negative value or direction in a mathematical equation, and is essential in accurately solving and interpreting calculations.

2. When should I use a negative sign in calculations?

A negative sign should be used whenever there is a decrease or subtraction of a quantity from another quantity. This could include scenarios such as finding the difference between two values, representing a debt or loss, or indicating a decrease in temperature or speed.

3. Can I ignore negative signs in calculations?

No, negative signs should never be ignored in calculations. Doing so can result in incorrect solutions and misinterpretation of data. It is important to pay attention to the signs and use them appropriately to ensure accurate results.

4. How do I perform calculations with negative numbers?

To perform calculations with negative numbers, first identify the operation (addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division) and then follow the standard rules for that operation. For example, when adding or subtracting negative numbers, change the sign and then perform the operation as if the numbers were positive. When multiplying or dividing negative numbers, keep track of the number of negative signs and use the rule that a negative multiplied or divided by a negative results in a positive.

5. What is the difference between a negative number and a negative result in calculations?

A negative number is a value that is less than zero, while a negative result in calculations is the outcome of a mathematical operation that results in a value less than zero. A negative number can be used as an input in calculations, but a negative result is the output of the calculation. For example, -5 is a negative number, but the result of subtracting 10 from 5 is a negative result, -5.