Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nerdy and proud! How do YOU express your nerdiness?

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    I bought a whiteboard and hung it up in my dorm room, and I've been happily using it whenever I'm trying to be creative on some non-trivial problem. (Or when keeping a record of my debts.)

What about you?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2012 #2
    My TV cost me $20.oo at an SPCA sale and I haven't turned it on in over a year, but my desk and computer look like something out of a science fiction movie.

4. Apr 16, 2012 #3
    by posting here

5. Apr 16, 2012 #4
  6. Apr 16, 2012 #5
    lol:smile:

7. Apr 17, 2012 #6

Dembadon

Gold Member

I don't really go out of my way to express nerdiness. I just am.

8. Apr 17, 2012 #7
    I don't see nerdiness as a good thing nor do I think of myself as nerdy.

9. Apr 17, 2012 #8
    Haters be hatin'

10. Apr 17, 2012 #9
    People who think "nerdiness" is posting xkcd comic strips everywhere is not what I consider to be "nerdy".

Staying up 'til 2 in the morning doing math/physics homework 'cause it's friggin' awesome is nerdy.

11. Apr 17, 2012 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you all start attending Jackie Evancho concerts, we can talk. Until then you are just wanna-be nerds.

12. Apr 17, 2012 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Same here. I do come off as pretty nerdy to most people, though. Doesn't bother me one bit :cool:.

13. Apr 17, 2012 #12
    I've got a medium sized blackboard in the living room.

14. Apr 17, 2012 #13
    I am nerdy in the way that I could spend hours researching theoretical physics and advanced mathematics with no apparent aim or reason other than to learn.

15. Apr 17, 2012 #14

turbo

Gold Member

I must be nerdy. When the price of the HP 15-C calculator got down to $100 at the HP online store, I ordered one. It just came today. My last HP died a few years ago, so I've been stuck with the typical algebraic-notation calculators until now. All nerds need one of these! (Even if you don't need to do matrix math with complex numbers... :tongue:)

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/calculator/HP/1/storefronts/NW250AA%23ABA

16. Apr 17, 2012 #15
    I did the same thing 4 years ago and I enjoy so much by solving problems in my whiteboard as well as doing homework and so ohter things on it.

17. Apr 17, 2012 #16
    I express it by walking out the door. That doesn't seem to be happening an awful lot lately, though!

18. Apr 18, 2012 #17
    I like to tell the 'what do you call a baby eigensheep' joke.
    But only to people who actually know what an eigen-anything is :p

I don't go out of my way to show off how 'nerdy' I am nor do I think that people who post on their facebook about how 'omg im such a nerd' are actually in any way nerdy.

19. Apr 18, 2012 #18
    I don't know the joke. tell me how it is

20. Apr 18, 2012 #19

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

21. Apr 18, 2012 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook