Nerdy and proud How do YOU express your nerdiness?

• Thread starter nonequilibrium
  • Start date
In summary: I express either my nerd- or geekishness by endlessly debating the difference between a nerd and a geek with my friends. There were no survivors.
nonequilibrium
I bought a whiteboard and hung it up in my dorm room, and I've been happily using it whenever I'm trying to be creative on some non-trivial problem. (Or when keeping a record of my debts.)

What about you?

Physics news on Phys.org
My TV cost me $20.oo at an SPCA sale and I haven't turned it on in over a year, but my desk and computer look like something out of a science fiction movie.

by posting here

Touché

lol:smile:

I don't really go out of my way to express nerdiness. I just am.

I don't see nerdiness as a good thing nor do I think of myself as nerdy.

Haters be hatin'

People who think "nerdiness" is posting xkcd comic strips everywhere is not what I consider to be "nerdy".

Staying up 'til 2 in the morning doing math/physics homework 'cause it's friggin' awesome is nerdy.

When you all start attending Jackie Evancho concerts, we can talk. Until then you are just wanna-be nerds.

Dembadon said:
I don't really go out of my way to express nerdiness. I just am.

Same here. I do come off as pretty nerdy to most people, though. Doesn't bother me one bit :cool:.

I've got a medium sized blackboard in the living room.

I am nerdy in the way that I could spend hours researching theoretical physics and advanced mathematics with no apparent aim or reason other than to learn.

I must be nerdy. When the price of the HP 15-C calculator got down to $100 at the HP online store, I ordered one. It just came today. My last HP died a few years ago, so I've been stuck with the typical algebraic-notation calculators until now. All nerds need one of these! (Even if you don't need to do matrix math with complex numbers... :tongue:)

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/calculator/HP/1/storefronts/NW250AA%23ABA

mr. vodka said:
I bought a whiteboard and hung it up in my dorm room, and I've been happily using it whenever I'm trying to be creative on some non-trivial problem. (Or when keeping a record of my debts.)

What about you?

I did the same thing 4 years ago and I enjoy so much by solving problems in my whiteboard as well as doing homework and so ohter things on it.

I express it by walking out the door. That doesn't seem to be happening an awful lot lately, though!

I like to tell the 'what do you call a baby eigensheep' joke.
But only to people who actually know what an eigen-anything is :p

I don't go out of my way to show off how 'nerdy' I am nor do I think that people who post on their facebook about how 'omg I am such a nerd' are actually in any way nerdy.

genericusrnme said:
I like to tell the 'what do you call a baby eigensheep' joke.
But only to people who actually know what an eigen-anything is :p

I don't go out of my way to show off how 'nerdy' I am nor do I think that people who post on their facebook about how 'omg I am such a nerd' are actually in any way nerdy.

I don't know the joke. tell me how it is

Get an HP 15-C you nerds! You can not only be retro, but as nerdy as anybody in your department.

I have an HP50g. Is that close enough?

Casco said:
I don't know the joke. tell me how it is

A Lamb-duh!

Still lovin' the HP 15C. What a solid calculator! It has more functions than I will ever need at this point in my life (I think) but it is so compact, with keys that have tactile feedback... If there is a better non-graphing calculator, I can't imagine what it might be.

I express either my nerd- or geekishness by endlessly debating the difference between a nerd and a geek with my friends. There were no survivors.

My wife keeps telling me that if she dies, I should take Duke to open public places (parks, etc), so he can pick out a new "mama". I should also take along the 15C and an engineering pad and a mechanical pencil, so he can pick out a geek-friendly "mama".

1. What does it mean to be "nerdy"?

Being "nerdy" refers to having a strong interest or passion in academic or intellectual pursuits, such as science, technology, engineering, or mathematics. It can also involve a love for fictional worlds and characters in books, movies, or video games.

2. How do you express your nerdiness?

There are many ways to express your nerdiness, such as participating in activities related to your interests, attending conventions or events, wearing nerdy clothing or accessories, or sharing your knowledge with others.

3. Is it important to embrace your nerdiness?

Yes, embracing your nerdiness can lead to a sense of community and belonging with others who share similar interests. It can also help you develop skills and knowledge in your areas of passion.

4. Can someone be a "nerd" in multiple areas?

Absolutely! Being a "nerd" does not limit you to only one interest or area of expertise. Many individuals are passionate about multiple subjects and can be considered "nerdy" in each of those areas.

5. How can I support and encourage others to express their nerdiness?

You can support and encourage others to express their nerdiness by being open-minded and respectful of their interests, participating in activities and discussions related to their interests, and creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for them to share and explore their passions.