Nerdy and proud! How do YOU express your nerdiness?

Main Question or Discussion Point

I bought a whiteboard and hung it up in my dorm room, and I've been happily using it whenever I'm trying to be creative on some non-trivial problem. (Or when keeping a record of my debts.)

What about you?

Answers and Replies

My TV cost me $20.oo at an SPCA sale and I haven't turned it on in over a year, but my desk and computer look like something out of a science fiction movie.

lol:smile:

Dembadon
Gold Member
I don't really go out of my way to express nerdiness. I just am.

I don't see nerdiness as a good thing nor do I think of myself as nerdy.

People who think "nerdiness" is posting xkcd comic strips everywhere is not what I consider to be "nerdy".

Staying up 'til 2 in the morning doing math/physics homework 'cause it's friggin' awesome is nerdy.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When you all start attending Jackie Evancho concerts, we can talk. Until then you are just wanna-be nerds.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't really go out of my way to express nerdiness. I just am.
Same here. I do come off as pretty nerdy to most people, though. Doesn't bother me one bit :cool:.

I've got a medium sized blackboard in the living room.

I am nerdy in the way that I could spend hours researching theoretical physics and advanced mathematics with no apparent aim or reason other than to learn.

turbo
Gold Member
I must be nerdy. When the price of the HP 15-C calculator got down to $100 at the HP online store, I ordered one. It just came today. My last HP died a few years ago, so I've been stuck with the typical algebraic-notation calculators until now. All nerds need one of these! (Even if you don't need to do matrix math with complex numbers... :tongue:)

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/calculator/HP/1/storefronts/NW250AA%23ABA

I bought a whiteboard and hung it up in my dorm room, and I've been happily using it whenever I'm trying to be creative on some non-trivial problem. (Or when keeping a record of my debts.)

What about you?
I did the same thing 4 years ago and I enjoy so much by solving problems in my whiteboard as well as doing homework and so ohter things on it.

I express it by walking out the door. That doesn't seem to be happening an awful lot lately, though!

I like to tell the 'what do you call a baby eigensheep' joke.
But only to people who actually know what an eigen-anything is :p

I don't go out of my way to show off how 'nerdy' I am nor do I think that people who post on their facebook about how 'omg im such a nerd' are actually in any way nerdy.

I like to tell the 'what do you call a baby eigensheep' joke.
But only to people who actually know what an eigen-anything is :p

I don't go out of my way to show off how 'nerdy' I am nor do I think that people who post on their facebook about how 'omg im such a nerd' are actually in any way nerdy.
I don't know the joke. tell me how it is

turbo
Gold Member
Get an HP 15-C you nerds!!! You can not only be retro, but as nerdy as anybody in your department.

jhae2.718
Gold Member
I have an HP50g. Is that close enough?

turbo
Gold Member
Still lovin' the HP 15C. What a solid calculator! It has more functions than I will ever need at this point in my life (I think) but it is so compact, with keys that have tactile feedback... If there is a better non-graphing calculator, I can't imagine what it might be.

I express either my nerd- or geekishness by endlessly debating the difference between a nerd and a geek with my friends. There were no survivors.