Balancing the Equations with Half-Cell Method: Step 4

• Thread starter m0286
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation was about balancing equations using the half-cell method. The speaker was having trouble with determining the net charge for the left and right sides of the equation. They were advised to find the lowest common multiple of the decreases and increases in oxidation numbers, which was 10. By putting a 2 in front of Mn and a 5 in front of SO, the equation was balanced and the net charge was determined to be -12 on the left side and -6 on the right side. The speaker eventually figured it out and thanked the person for their help.
m0286
Hello I am working on questions for balancing the equations using the half-cell method. I have read the text and I think I get it..well up until step 4 (that they gave me) Its balancing the ionic charge the example was:
MnO4^- + SO3^2- -> Mn^2+ + SO4^2-
(7+)...(4+)...(2+)...(6+)(ignore the periods they are there for spaces that wouldn't show up??)
They tell me to write the oxidation numbers and determine which ones change. I have seen whut the numbers are They are written below the equation. I write how much each element increases or decreases by Mn decreases by 5 and S increases by 2. It says find the lowest common multiple of the decrease and increases os the oxidation numbers. which is 10. NEXT IS WHERE IM CONFUSED!
im supposed to determine the net charge for the left and right side it says the left side is 12- and the right side is 6-? I can't even think of how to determine the net charge, and i need to know how to do this for the questions i do have to answer its probably simple but can someone please help??

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Wow my brain must not be working i figured it out.. it was simple:
since the lowest common multiple was 10.. you put a 2 in front of Mn and a a 5 infront of SO.. so
2MnO4^- + 5SO3^2- -> 2Mn^2+ + 5SO4^2-
and -2 + (5 * 2-=-10)=-12 THEN (2 * 2=4) + (5 * 2-=-10)=-6. Thanks for looking though. :smile:

Hi there,

Step 4 in balancing equations using the half-cell method involves determining the net charge on the left and right side of the equation. This is important because we want the overall charge to be balanced on both sides.

In your example, the left side has a charge of 12- (7- from MnO4^- and 5- from SO3^2-) and the right side has a charge of 6- (2+ from Mn^2+ and 4- from SO4^2-).

To determine the net charge, we simply add up all the individual charges on each side. So for the left side, we have 7- + 5- = 12-. And for the right side, we have 2+ + 4- = 6-.

Since the net charge on the left side is 12- and on the right side is 6-, we can see that there is a difference of 6- between the two sides. This means that there is an overall excess of negative charge on the left side, which needs to be balanced out.

To do this, we can add 6 electrons to the right side of the equation. This will balance out the negative charge and make the overall charge on both sides equal.

I hope this helps clarify the process for you. Keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. How do I determine which half-reaction to use in the half-cell method?

The half-cell method involves breaking down the overall redox reaction into two half-reactions. The half-reaction with the greater reduction potential will be used as the reduction half-reaction, while the other will be used as the oxidation half-reaction.

2. Can I balance the equations using the half-cell method for all types of redox reactions?

Yes, the half-cell method can be used to balance any redox reaction, including those that involve acidic, basic, or neutral solutions.

3. What is the purpose of adding water and hydrogen ions to the equations in the half-cell method?

Adding water and hydrogen ions helps to balance the charges and atoms on both sides of the half-reaction equations. This is necessary in order to ensure that the overall redox reaction is balanced.

4. How do I know if the half-reaction equations are balanced?

The half-reaction equations are balanced when the number of atoms of each element and the overall charge are the same on both sides of the equation. You can check this by counting the number of atoms and charges on each side.

5. What is the final step in balancing the equations using the half-cell method?

The final step is to multiply the half-reaction equations by the appropriate coefficients so that the number of electrons gained in the reduction half-reaction is equal to the number of electrons lost in the oxidation half-reaction. This ensures that the overall redox reaction is balanced.