Oxidation Reduction (redox) Balancing

1. When balancing oxidation reduction reactions involving acids or bases, what (in the case of acids) allows you to add H+ ions to one side of the reaction and H2O to the other, or in the case of bases, OH- and H2O to balance out hydrogen/oxgen? Normally you are not allowed to just add random compounds to either side of the equation.

I suspect this has something to do with the ability of H+ to grab oxygen atoms to form H2O, as similarly with 2OH- to supply Oxygen atoms and give H2O, as demonstrated by these two reactions:
    [itex]2H^{+}\; +\; O^{2-}\; -->\; H_{2}O[/itex]

[itex] 2OH^{-}\; -->\; H_{2}O\; +\; O^{2-} [/itex]

However, is this the real reason? And instead of using H+ ions for the acids, wouldn't it be more appropriate to use the hydronium ion, H3O+?

In case the question is not clear, here is an example reaction.

[itex]MnO_{4}^{-}\; +\; I^{-}\; -->\; I_{2}\; +\; Mn^{2+}[/itex]

One of the half reactions would be:

[itex]5e^{-}\; +\; MnO_{4}^{-}\; +\; 8H^{+}\; ->\; Mn^{2+}\; +\; 4H_{2}O[/itex]

However, in this half reaction what allows you to add H+ to one side and H2O to the other?

2. jcsd
  3. Borek

Staff: Mentor

These reactions usually take place in water, and typically in either low or high pH - so you can safely assume there is plenty of H2O and H+/OH- around. As there is plenty of them, they can be between reactants and products and you won't even notice changes in their concentrations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted