Net Force on 5kg Suitcase and Applied Force Calculation

In summary, the net force acting on the 5kg suitcase when picked up with 60N of force is 11N in the upward direction, and the acceleration of the suitcase is 2.2 m/s^2 in the upward direction. The equation used is ma = ?, where m is the mass of the suitcase and a is the acceleration.
Hafsaaa

Homework Statement

What is the net force acting on a 5kg suitcase when picked up with 60N of force? what is the applied force? What is the acceleration of the suitcase?

Homework Equations

ma=?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure on how to start the equation all I know is ma=

Physics news on Phys.org
The force upwards is 60N, the force downward is simply (5kg)(9.8m/s^2), or weight times gravity to give you force, since gravity is acting on the suitcase.

So, the upward force of 60N minus the downward force of 49N (from 5*9.8), and you get 11N in the positive upward direction.

ma = 11N

a = 11N / 5kg = 2.2 m/s^2 (in the upwards positive direction)

1. What is the formula for calculating net force on a 5kg suitcase?

The formula for calculating net force is Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do I determine the applied force on a 5kg suitcase?

The applied force on a 5kg suitcase can be determined by using the formula F = ma, where F is the applied force, m is the mass of the suitcase, and a is the acceleration.

3. What factors affect the net force on a 5kg suitcase?

The net force on a 5kg suitcase is affected by the magnitude and direction of the applied force, as well as any other forces acting on the suitcase such as friction or air resistance.

4. Can the net force on a 5kg suitcase be negative?

Yes, the net force on a 5kg suitcase can be negative if the direction of the applied force is opposite to the direction of motion. This would result in a deceleration or slowing down of the suitcase.

5. How can I use the net force and applied force calculations to predict the motion of a 5kg suitcase?

The net force and applied force calculations can be used to predict the motion of a 5kg suitcase by determining the resulting acceleration. If the net force is greater than zero, the suitcase will accelerate in the direction of the applied force. If the net force is less than zero, the suitcase will decelerate and eventually come to a stop. If the net force is zero, the suitcase will maintain a constant velocity.