Neutron Diffusion Equation/Spherical Geometry Source Problem

In summary: It's good to know that there are other solutions besides a zero. So your answer is:In summary, the flux distribution is flat at the center of the sphere and the derivative of the current at the center is equal to zero.
deebrwnfn11

Homework Statement

Solve for the flux distribution using the 1D neutron diffusion equation in a finite sphere for a uniformly distributed source emitting S0 neutrons/cc-sec.

My problem right now is that I can't figure out the boundary conditions for this problem. We usually work with point sources in infinite domains when working with spherical geometry, so I am unfamiliar with setting up boundary conditions for finite spheres.

Homework Equations

The governing differential equation is:
[itex]
\frac{1}{r^2} \frac{d}{dr} r^2 \frac{d\phi}{dr} - \frac{1}{L^2}\phi(r) = \frac{-S_0}{D}
[/itex]

with a boundary condition:
[itex]
\phi(r=R) = 0
[/itex]
This problem is going to be turned into a computer code, so we were told not to use extrapolated boundary conditions. I just need help finding the boundary condition for r = 0

As I mentioned above, we've never worked with finite spheres before so I am not 100% certain that the solution involves sin and cos. Maybe sinh and cosh?
[itex]
\phi(r) = \frac{C_1}{r}sin(\frac{r}{L}) + \frac{C_2}{r}cos(\frac{r}{L}) + \frac{S_0L^2}{D}
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Physically, I know that the flux profile will be flat at the center of the sphere. I can't impose that the derivative equals zero because that would lead to a zero as the denominator in the coefficient terms. I've considered using a limit as r → 0, but that would cause the coefficient terms to shoot up to infinity. I don't think I can say that the neutron current at the center is equal to some value because there is a distributed source.

I am completely lost in finding this boundary condition. I think what I have written so far for the equations is right. If someone could point me in the right direction, or enlighten me of a mistake I have made I would be forever grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you need a boundary condition for r = 0? Isn't r = 0 within the sphere? Why isn't the BC Phi = 0 at r = R sufficient?

Obviously, you can substitute your trial function Phi(r) into the differential equation and see if the DE is satisfied. Have you tried this?

I did check my trial function by plugging it into the original ODE and it didn't take me long to figure out that it wasn't going to satisfy it. So I dusted off the old Differential equations textbook and found out what I was doing wrong. The actual solution is:

[itex]
\phi(r) = \frac{C_1}{r}sinh(\frac{r}{L}) + \frac{C_2}{r}cosh(\frac{r}{L}) + \frac{S_0L^2}{D}
[/itex]

with the boundary conditions [itex] \phi(r=R) = 0 [/itex] and [itex] \lim_{r \to 0} \phi(r) = finite [/itex]

I reconsidered using the limit boundary condition after re-remembering L'hopital's rule. So my flux (with coefficients solved for) is:

[itex]
\phi(r) = \frac{-S_0L^2R}{rDsinh(\frac{R}{L})}sinh(\frac{r}{L}) + \frac{S_0L^2}{D}
[/itex]

Thank you for suggesting that I check my solution, I often forget to do that when I'm solving differential equations.

Last edited:

1. What is the Neutron Diffusion Equation and how is it used?

The Neutron Diffusion Equation is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of neutrons in a nuclear reactor. It takes into account factors such as neutron production, absorption, and scattering, and can be solved to determine the neutron flux and power distribution within the reactor.

2. What is a Spherical Geometry Source Problem?

A Spherical Geometry Source Problem is a type of neutron diffusion problem where the reactor core is modeled as a sphere. This simplifies the problem by assuming that the neutron flux is only dependent on the distance from the center of the sphere, rather than in all three dimensions.

3. What are the boundary conditions for a Spherical Geometry Source Problem?

The boundary conditions for a Spherical Geometry Source Problem include a reflective boundary at the edge of the sphere, where neutrons are reflected back into the core, and a vacuum boundary at the center of the sphere, where no neutrons can exist.

4. How is the neutron flux distribution determined in a Spherical Geometry Source Problem?

The neutron flux distribution in a Spherical Geometry Source Problem is determined by solving the Neutron Diffusion Equation using numerical methods. These methods involve breaking up the sphere into smaller regions and calculating the neutron flux in each region, which can then be used to determine the overall flux distribution.

5. What are some applications of the Neutron Diffusion Equation/Spherical Geometry Source Problem?

The Neutron Diffusion Equation and Spherical Geometry Source Problem are commonly used in nuclear reactor design and analysis. They can also be applied in other areas such as nuclear medicine and radiation therapy, as well as in research for new reactor designs and materials.