1d diffusion equation solution for slab with non symmetric source

This should give you a solution that satisfies both the homogeneous and particular solution and should also satisfy the boundary conditions.In summary, the conversation discusses the analytical solution of the diffusion equation for a 1D 1 group slab with a width of a and a source distribution of Se^(-k(x+a/2)). The speaker has attempted to apply the boundary conditions of a flux set to 0 at -a/2 and a/2, but their constants are functions of each other. They suggest trying to find a Green's function and taking its convolution with the source term to satisfy both the homogeneous and particular solution and the boundary conditions. They also mention a condition for a physically realizable solution.
Mojo
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
Disclaimer: This is a homework problem

I need to analytically solve the diffusion equation for a 1d 1 group slab with width a, and source distribution Se^(-k(x+a/2))

I've gone through the math, and come up with my homogeneous and particular solution and attempted to apply the boundary conditions of the flux set to 0 at -a/2 and a/2 but my constants are functions of each other. I was thinking of solving the source for the average, and setting the neutron current at that point to 0 but I didn't think that would work. Is there any other boundary condition I can use? I read in another text (I went through about 4 texts and 7 power points to no avail) "There always exists a physically realizable solution (no critical buckling!)") (http://www.mit.edu/~lululi/school/22.211_Nuclear_Reactor_Physics_I/notes/__all__.pdf) But I am not sure how to use this condition, or if it applies to this problem. I would greatly appreciate any insight into this.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you haven't tried it already, I would try finding a Green's function and taking it's convolution with the source term.

1. What is the 1D diffusion equation?

The 1D diffusion equation is a mathematical model that describes the process of diffusion in a one-dimensional system. It is used to predict how a substance will spread or diffuse over time in a given space.

2. How is the 1D diffusion equation solved for a slab with non-symmetric source?

The 1D diffusion equation for a slab with non-symmetric source can be solved using the method of separation of variables. This involves separating the equation into two ordinary differential equations, which can then be solved using boundary conditions and initial conditions.

3. What is the significance of non-symmetric source in the 1D diffusion equation?

A non-symmetric source in the 1D diffusion equation means that the source of the diffusing substance is not uniform throughout the system. This could be due to variations in concentration or temperature gradients, and it can have a significant impact on how the substance diffuses over time.

4. What are some applications of the 1D diffusion equation with non-symmetric source?

The 1D diffusion equation with non-symmetric source has many practical applications, including predicting the spread of pollutants in the environment, understanding the diffusion of drugs in the human body, and modeling the diffusion of heat in materials.

5. What are the limitations of using the 1D diffusion equation for non-symmetric sources?

While the 1D diffusion equation is a useful tool for modeling diffusion in many systems, it has some limitations when it comes to non-symmetric sources. It may not accurately predict diffusion in highly complex systems or those with rapidly changing non-symmetric sources. In such cases, more advanced mathematical models may be needed.