1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1d diffusion equation solution for slab with non symmetric source

1. Mar 5, 2016 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
    Disclaimer: This is a homework problem

I need to analytically solve the diffusion equation for a 1d 1 group slab with width a, and source distribution Se^(-k(x+a/2))

I've gone through the math, and come up with my homogeneous and particular solution and attempted to apply the boundary conditions of the flux set to 0 at -a/2 and a/2 but my constants are functions of each other. I was thinking of solving the source for the average, and setting the neutron current at that point to 0 but I didn't think that would work. Is there any other boundary condition I can use? I read in another text (I went through about 4 texts and 7 power points to no avail) "There always exists a physically realizable solution (no critical buckling!)") (http://www.mit.edu/~lululi/school/22.211_Nuclear_Reactor_Physics_I/notes/__all__.pdf) But I am not sure how to use this condition, or if it applies to this problem. I would greatly appreciate any insight into this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2016 #2

Twigg

Gold Member

If you haven't tried it already, I would try finding a Green's function and taking it's convolution with the source term.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted