1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Member Question about Graduate School Abroad

1. Mar 8, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this, but hopefully I'll pick it up quickly...

I had a very general question about going to graduate school for physics. I'm a junior undergraduate going for my B.S. in general physics, so naturally I'm thinking about grad schools at this point. I've got a 3.98 cumulative GPA right now (4.02 major GPA), and I'm hoping for an REU over this summer to get some research under my belt.

I'm wondering how important/plausible it is for someone like me to consider international grad schools. I'm currently looking at a few universities in Japan, as well as some in Germany: but I just don't know if I should even consider them. I know there's plenty of great schools in the U.S., but it would be neat to see more of the world. Plus, a few of the universities I'm looking at have projects that really interest me! I'm just wondering if I could get some help measuring pros and cons, like what things to consider and all that.

I appreciate any and all input here.

Thanks everyone!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2016 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

There isn't much to input on here, it's a personal choice. One main difference between many foreign universities and the US is that you'd probably be applying to a masters program, in lieu of a doctorate program like the US. There are also financial concerns, if you aren't independently wealthy.

I lived in Japan for a while, it's a bit of a culture shock. You'll also have problems with the language unless you already speak and read Japanese well. Further, it's also incredibly expensive, and the living accommodations are tiny.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted