Grad School Abroad: Pros and Cons for Physics Major | GPA 3.98 | REU Experience

In summary, the person is a junior undergraduate studying physics and considering graduate schools. They have a high GPA and are looking into international options, specifically universities in Japan and Germany. They are seeking advice on the pros and cons of attending grad school abroad and appreciate any input. Some considerations include the difference in program structure and financial concerns. Additionally, living in a foreign country may come with cultural and language challenges.
Brendan Murphy
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this, but hopefully I'll pick it up quickly...

I had a very general question about going to graduate school for physics. I'm a junior undergraduate going for my B.S. in general physics, so naturally I'm thinking about grad schools at this point. I've got a 3.98 cumulative GPA right now (4.02 major GPA), and I'm hoping for an REU over this summer to get some research under my belt.

I'm wondering how important/plausible it is for someone like me to consider international grad schools. I'm currently looking at a few universities in Japan, as well as some in Germany: but I just don't know if I should even consider them. I know there's plenty of great schools in the U.S., but it would be neat to see more of the world. Plus, a few of the universities I'm looking at have projects that really interest me! I'm just wondering if I could get some help measuring pros and cons, like what things to consider and all that.

I appreciate any and all input here.

Thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
Brendan Murphy said:
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this, but hopefully I'll pick it up quickly...

I had a very general question about going to graduate school for physics. I'm a junior undergraduate going for my B.S. in general physics, so naturally I'm thinking about grad schools at this point. I've got a 3.98 cumulative GPA right now (4.02 major GPA), and I'm hoping for an REU over this summer to get some research under my belt.

I'm wondering how important/plausible it is for someone like me to consider international grad schools. I'm currently looking at a few universities in Japan, as well as some in Germany: but I just don't know if I should even consider them. I know there's plenty of great schools in the U.S., but it would be neat to see more of the world. Plus, a few of the universities I'm looking at have projects that really interest me! I'm just wondering if I could get some help measuring pros and cons, like what things to consider and all that.

I appreciate any and all input here.

Thanks everyone!

There isn't much to input on here, it's a personal choice. One main difference between many foreign universities and the US is that you'd probably be applying to a masters program, in lieu of a doctorate program like the US. There are also financial concerns, if you aren't independently wealthy.

I lived in Japan for a while, it's a bit of a culture shock. You'll also have problems with the language unless you already speak and read Japanese well. Further, it's also incredibly expensive, and the living accommodations are tiny.

1. What are the benefits of pursuing graduate school abroad?

There are several benefits to pursuing graduate school abroad, including exposure to different cultures and perspectives, the opportunity to learn a new language, access to top-ranked universities and research facilities, and the potential for better job prospects and career advancement.

2. How much does it cost to attend graduate school abroad?

The cost of attending graduate school abroad varies depending on the country and university, but it is typically more affordable compared to graduate programs in the United States. Many countries offer scholarships and funding opportunities for international students, which can help offset the cost of tuition and living expenses.

3. What are the requirements for applying to graduate school abroad?

The specific requirements for applying to graduate school abroad will vary depending on the university and program. However, most universities will require a completed application form, transcripts from previous academic institutions, letters of recommendation, a personal statement or essay, and proof of English proficiency for non-native speakers.

4. How long does it take to complete a graduate program abroad?

The length of a graduate program abroad can vary depending on the country, university, and program. In general, master's programs can take 1-2 years to complete, while doctoral programs can take anywhere from 3-5 years. Some programs may also offer accelerated options for students who wish to complete their degree in a shorter amount of time.

5. Are there any challenges to studying abroad for graduate school?

Studying abroad for graduate school can present some challenges, such as language barriers, cultural adjustment, and being away from family and friends. It is important to thoroughly research and prepare for the country and university you will be studying in to minimize these challenges. Additionally, many universities offer support services for international students to help with the transition.