Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New member saying hello!

1. Apr 23, 2004 #1
    Hello everyone, this is Andrew here, and I must say that it is one breath of fresh air to find a website such as this. I am currently 14 years old, and very heavy into the sciences. Seeing as though I am too young to take physics as a regular course in my high school, I have been getting involved in anything related, in hopes of increasing my chances of attending honors physics and physics2.
    People dont take very kindly to my heavy addiction to the sciences, especially my piers, so it is great to have a place to discuss with others like myself.
    Hello, and hope to hang around, and learn for a long time.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome, Andy. :smile:

We hope that you'll enjoy our forum, and perhaps even learn a thing or two!

- Warren

4. Apr 24, 2004 #3

Aloha!
    I face the same problem. I am very addicted to the sciences, and of course my piers don't understand why. I am about your age myself, and as you can imagine (or rather relate to), science is the last thing on the mind of kids today. tsk, tsk. What would the world be without such a field? We would still be cave men. :rolleyes:
    Anywho, I joined here for the same reason as you. I am unable to discuss inquiries I have in advanced topics, or just those good ol' semantics & philosophy topics with really smart people. The best part of physics forums is, I don't need to simplify my vocab! Everyone here understands what I say and doesn't complain about the "long words" I use. [sigh] this is truly a sanctuary. You will indubitably (sp?) have a groovy time. ENJOY. :biggrin:

5. Apr 24, 2004 #4

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[spelling nazi]
    piers = what a boat is docked to
    peers = your fellow human beings
    [\spelling nazi]

Welcome to the forums, Andy!

6. Apr 24, 2004 #5
    Hello Andrew (or AndyPIXEL), you'll find quite a few young people around here. I believe the youngest member we have is an eleven-year-old. I'm also 14 and I enjoy a wide range of things, science being one of them. I'm already taking Physics at school, but classes are so dull that I feel I've started to lose interest in it. My current passion is Mathematics, something that I've only just 'discovered' thanks to the excellent Math section of the Physics forums. Trust me, you'll have a wonderful time here.

7. Apr 24, 2004 #6
    Just remember your place AndyPIXEL! Theres only one true Andy around here, lol. Hope you enjoy it here.

8. Apr 24, 2004 #7

jimmy p

Gold Member

hello. Everyone comes here with the notion of learning physics, I got sucked into the black hole of general discussion though. It's ok, at least it's warm!!

Hope we dont scare you and you feel inclined to stay!

9. Apr 24, 2004 #8
    I'm not a jerk and I'm just messing around.
    There has to be a joke in the "piers" comment.
    Welcome to Physicsforums.

10. Apr 24, 2004 #9

Tsu

Gold Member

Hey, enema! Can I be your Deputy Spelling Nazzi?? :biggrin:

edit: oh yeah!! welcome to PF, AndyPIXEL!!!

11. Apr 24, 2004 #10

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:eek:

That's the second time in a week that I've been called that.

Are you all trying to tell me something? :confused: :biggrin: :confused:

enema

enigma

12. Apr 25, 2004 #11

Andy,

Keep in mind, you will only learn Physics on your own time, not here. There is only great help here, no Physics lessons.

- Tom

13. Apr 25, 2004 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome, Andy. The best thing about this forum is that you will meet people from all over the world who also have your passion for the sciences. Have fun!

14. Apr 25, 2004 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

p.s. just for the record

pier = what a boat is docked to
    piers = what boats are docked to

15. Apr 25, 2004 #14

Tsu

Gold Member

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Hey, enema! :biggrin: Never mind!!

Math is Hard! Can I be YOUR Deputy Spelling/English Nazi? :wink: :biggrin:

16. Apr 25, 2004 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Very well, then.
    Enigma can police the spelling, and Tsu and I will look after the grammar.
    :biggrin:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2004
  17. Apr 26, 2004 #16

Tsu

Gold Member

Deal. :wink:

I was actually very glad that enigma volunteered to be the spelling nazi. :biggrin: I think I saw that it was one of his pet peeves in another thread. It is also one of mine.

So, enigma. Who was the other one who called you 'enema'? :biggrin: Would that possibly beeee... IVAN???? :eek: He's the one who suggested I call you 'enema' in my post. (I was reading your post to him because I thought your 'spelling nazi' thing was pretty hysterical. But I also thought it was pretty funny to change (misspell) the spelling of your name to 'enema' since part of my job occasionally involves administering them! :eek:) But now I (think I) see, that IVAN is trying to get me into TROUBLE again, isn't he? :eek: :biggrin: :tongue: Hmmmmmm... Revenge will be sweet. :wink:

18. Apr 26, 2004 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, we have a spelling nazi, and a grammar nazi. Would anyone like to volunteer to be the syntax nazi?

19. Apr 26, 2004 #18

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We need to find a volunteer for soup nazi also.

20. Apr 26, 2004 #19

jimmy p

Gold Member

what kind of soup is it?

21. Apr 26, 2004 #20
    mahtza ball

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?