New to circuit implementation help

• Thread starter vsage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the speaker has been tasked with using 5V logic to turn on/off a high power CMOS transistor for an automotive application. They have been using a breadboard for the logic, but need to find a way to connect everything together since the breadboard cannot handle the current. They are asking for advice on how to do this and also wondering if they need a heat sink for the CMOS transistor.
vsage
To preface this: I decided to ask this over the internet where my reputation with my professors for not asking such stupid questions is not at stake :smile:

Ok here is my issue: I have been charged with the task of using 5V logic to turn on/off a high power CMOS transistor, which will supply around 4.5A to a device (automotive application). I have my transistor, which is of TO-220 design and will do the things I wish, but my problem is that I have been using a breadboard for the 5V logic because it's cheap and easy, but obviously you can't pass 4.5A through a breadboard, so my question is what should I do to connect everything together?

I understand this is a stupid question for someone who is charged with such a task, but I am trying to learn before I do something stupid. Can I simply walk down to a home improvement store, buy an appropriate insulated length of wire and some connection sockets, and connect a wire to one pin of my power transistor and the other end to my device's appropriate cable and have everything work? I tried to search for how to wire something with this much power involved, but I have had no luck. I am currently perusing howstuffworks. Please take pity on my soul, I have done entirely theory up to this point and am sorely lacking in practical implementation :cry:

Ah and PS: This is for a side project while going to school so I could do a little learning on my own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You are correct that your plug-in breadboard has a maximum size AWG wire that it will handle -- probably something like 22AWG or so. For anything bigger, just solder up some flying wires to the components off of the breadboard.

Is the TTL drive enough to turn on and off the CMOS transistor directly, or do you need another low-power discrete transistor in between? Either way, keep the high current conductors off the breadboard, and also be sure to calculate whether you need a heat sink for the CMOS power transistor.

Not a stupid question at all, vsage.

"Not a stupid question at all, vsage." And the hardware part is the real fun.

1. What are the basic components needed for a circuit implementation?

The basic components needed for a circuit implementation include a power source, such as a battery or power supply, wires for connectivity, resistors to regulate current flow, capacitors to store charge, and transistors or integrated circuits for switching and amplification.

2. How do I choose the right components for my circuit?

Choosing the right components for a circuit depends on the specific requirements and functions of the circuit. Factors to consider include voltage and current ratings, resistance and capacitance values, and the type of component (e.g. through-hole or surface mount). Consulting datasheets and seeking advice from experienced engineers can help in selecting the appropriate components.

3. What is the process for designing a circuit?

The process for designing a circuit typically involves identifying the purpose and specifications of the circuit, creating a schematic diagram to map out the connections between components, and then implementing the circuit on a breadboard for testing and troubleshooting. Once the circuit is working as desired, it can be transferred to a more permanent circuit board design.

4. How do I troubleshoot a circuit that is not working?

If a circuit is not working as expected, the first step is to check for any loose connections or damaged components. Using a multimeter to measure voltage and current at various points in the circuit can also help identify any issues. If troubleshooting on your own is not successful, seeking help from a more experienced engineer or using a circuit simulation software can aid in identifying and solving the problem.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with circuits?

Yes, it is important to take necessary safety precautions when working with circuits. This includes wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and anti-static wrist straps, when handling components. It is also important to work with caution around electricity and ensure that the circuit is properly grounded to prevent electric shock.