Newbie accelerometer wiring question

In summary, the speaker is having trouble calibrating their accelerometer due to VCC not being constant when powered by USB. They are trying to use an external 5v power supply but the Phidget is not detecting the sensor. The speaker is advised to find the power supply points on the circuit board and use a 5v regulator to avoid damaging the circuit. They are also warned about the possibility of damaging the Phidget or computer if they are unfamiliar with wiring circuits.
sonictext
Hi everyone,

I have an adxl193 analog accelerometer (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9332) that I am trying to interface with a phidget i/o board (http://www.phidgets.com/documentation/Phidgets/1011_0_Product_Manual.pdf).

I am having trouble calibrating the signal because the acceleration is (zero-g_reference_signal - signal)/sensitivity and the zero-g reference signal is VCC/2. However, VCC is not constant - I assume since it is powered by USB.

I would like to now use an external 5v power supply. I can see the signal on the oscilloscope when I connect the power supply. Unfortunately, the phidget is not detecting the sensor. I am completely wiring ignorant ---

VCC and GND on the accelerometer are connected to +5v and grn on the power supply while OUT on the accelerometer is connected only to A1 on the phidget ----- VCC and GND on the phidget are not connected to anything.

Does anyone have any advice? I am electronics ignorant.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It looks like, from the first diagram, that the power is obtained from the USB port of a computer. This gives a 5 volt and ground supply.

So, you would have to find the power supply points on the circuit board and run new wires to these from an external power supply.

As there is a strong possibility of wrecking the circuit if you use a variable power supply, I would feed the input via a 5 volt regulator, so that there is less chance of getting more than 5 volts on the circuit.

If you are unfamiliar with wiring circuits, you should probably just use it as it was intended or you may do damage to the Phidget or the computer.

1. What is an accelerometer and how does it work?

An accelerometer is a device that measures acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity. It works by using a small mass suspended by springs or beams and measures the displacement of this mass when subjected to acceleration. This displacement is then converted into an electrical signal that can be read and analyzed.

2. What is the purpose of wiring an accelerometer?

The purpose of wiring an accelerometer is to connect it to a data acquisition system or another device that can record and analyze the acceleration data. This allows for precise and accurate measurement of acceleration, which can be used in various scientific and engineering applications.

3. How do I wire an accelerometer?

The wiring process may vary depending on the specific type of accelerometer and data acquisition system being used. However, in general, the accelerometer will have three output pins: one for power, one for ground, and one for the signal. The power and ground pins should be connected to a power source, and the signal pin should be connected to the input of the data acquisition system. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and consult the datasheet for specific wiring instructions.

4. What types of accelerometers are there?

There are several types of accelerometers, but the most commonly used ones are piezoelectric, piezoresistive, and capacitive accelerometers. Piezoelectric accelerometers use crystals that generate an electrical charge when subjected to acceleration. Piezoresistive accelerometers use a strain gauge that changes resistance in response to acceleration. Capacitive accelerometers use two plates with a gap between them, and the distance between the plates changes when subjected to acceleration, resulting in a change in capacitance.

5. What are some applications of accelerometers?

Accelerometers have a wide range of applications in various fields, including engineering, sports and fitness, aerospace, and medical industries. They are commonly used to measure and analyze vibration, shock, and impact in machinery and structures. They are also used in devices such as smartphones, fitness trackers, and gaming controllers to detect and measure motion. In the aerospace industry, accelerometers are used for navigation and stabilization of aircraft and spacecraft. In the medical field, they are used for gait analysis, monitoring patient movements, and diagnosing balance disorders.