Building a Newman Motor: I Need Help Troubleshooting!

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to create a Newman motor according to a YouTube video, but failing to do so due to the fact that it is a perpetual motion hoax. The conversation also mentions Joseph Newman's ideas being labeled as pseudoscientific and false. The term "voodoo science" is brought up and explained, and a suggestion is made for building a simple DC motor for a toy car using a 9V battery.
elitewarr
. I tried making a newman motor according to a video on youtube. I have copper wires coiled around a plastic pipe, 200 above and 200 coils below the middle of the plastic pipe. The shaft in between is made of iron and it is quite thick. Now when I connect a 9v battery to the two ends of the copper wires, one above and one below, with some magnets in the pipe, around the shaft, nothing happened. I need help. Where did I go wrong?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Newman as in Joseph Newman? If that's the case, where you went wrong is falling for a perpetual motion hoax.

russ_watters said:
Newman as in Joseph Newman? If that's the case, where you went wrong is falling for a perpetual motion hoax.

Yes, I would trust the wikipaedia entry on this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Energy_Machine_of_Joseph_Newman"

The test results were published in June 1986 and concluded that it was not a perpetual motion machine, and the patent was again denied. Newman later withdrew the patent. Newman's ideas about electricity and magnetism have been described as pseudoscientific and his claims false.

See also

* DC motor
* Displacement current
* Gyroscope
* Inductor
* Singly-fed electric machine
* Synchronous motor
* Voltage
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crank_%28person%29" (person)
* Perpetual motion
* Voodoo science
* Anomalous phenomenon
* Free energy suppression

Voodoo science. I like the sound of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo_science"
Park uses the term voodoo science as a catch-all concept covering four categories sometimes difficult to distinguish from each other:

* pathological science, wherein genuine scientists deceive themselves
* junk science, speculative theorizing which bamboozles rather than enlightens
* pseudoscience proper, work falsely claiming to have a scientific basis, which may be dependent on supernatural explanations
* fraudulent science, exploiting bad science for the purposes of fraud

The Crank entry is a fun read also:

wiki on crank said:
No argument or evidence can ever be sufficient to make a crank abandon his belief.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that is the case, is there any method of building an electric motor for a toy car, powered by 9V? Thanks.

elitewarr said:
If that is the case, is there any method of building an electric motor for a toy car, powered by 9V? Thanks.

Build Your Own Simple DC Motor
http://www.flinnsci.com/Documents/demoPDFs/PhysicalSci/PS10405.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
ok. Thank you!

1. How do I troubleshoot a Newman motor that is not working?

To troubleshoot a Newman motor, start by checking the connections and making sure they are secure. Then, check the power source to ensure it is supplying enough voltage. If the motor still does not work, try cleaning the commutator and brushes. It is also a good idea to check the wiring and make sure there are no breaks or loose connections.

2. Why is my Newman motor running slowly?

If your Newman motor is running slowly, it could be due to a few different reasons. First, check the connections and make sure they are secure. Then, make sure the power source is supplying enough voltage. If those are not the issue, try cleaning the commutator and brushes to ensure they are making good contact. It is also possible that the motor needs to be oiled or lubricated.

3. Why is my Newman motor getting hot?

If your Newman motor is getting hot, it could be due to a few different reasons. First, make sure the power source is supplying the correct voltage. If the voltage is too high, it can cause the motor to overheat. Additionally, check the bearings and make sure they are properly lubricated. If the motor is still getting hot, it could be a sign of a larger issue and it may be best to consult a professional for help.

4. How do I know if my Newman motor is wired correctly?

To determine if your Newman motor is wired correctly, you can use a multimeter to test the connections. Make sure the connections are secure and that the motor is wired according to the manufacturer's instructions. If you are unsure, it is best to consult a professional or refer to online resources for guidance.

5. What are the common mistakes made when building a Newman motor?

Some common mistakes when building a Newman motor include not properly securing the connections, using the wrong type of wire, and not following the manufacturer's instructions for wiring and assembly. It is also important to make sure all parts are clean and free of debris before assembly. Additionally, using the incorrect power source or not providing enough voltage can also cause issues with the motor's performance.