Solving for Normal Force and Tension in a Tensioned Rope System

In summary, a stack of shoeboxes with a total mass of 18kg is being dragged by a rope at an angle of 45 degrees with no acceleration. The normal force (N) can be determined by subtracting the tension (T) from the weight (mg). To find the tension with a kinetic coefficient of friction of 0.20, the equations for the vertical and horizontal forces can be used to solve for N and T. However, if the system is frictionless, the box will undergo acceleration and N will vary until it vanishes.
jen333

Homework Statement

You are dragging a stack of shoeboxes along the floor by a rope (an odd situation I must say). If the total mass of the shoeboxes is 18kg and the rope is pulled at an angle of 45 degrees with no acceleration
i) what is N (normal force)? and
ii) What is the tension of there is a kinetic coefficient friction of 0.20?

2. The attempt at a solution

i) I know that N must be less than mg since the angle of the tension (rope) is carrying some of that weight.
[tex]\sum[/tex]Fy=Wy+Fy+N=0
N=mg-Tsin45degrees
=(18kg)(9.81m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex])-Tsin45 degrees

Where I am stuck at is finding the tension in order to find N. or can i theoretically determine Tsin45 being half the mg since T=mg when the angle is 90 degrees.

ii) I have
mg(0,-1)+N(0,1)+T(cos45, sin45)+[tex]\mu[/tex]kN(-1,0)

Ty=N-mg+Tsin45=0
Tx=Tcos45-[tex]\mu[/tex]kN=0 (ma, when a=0)

to solve this, i would then isolate the Tsin45 and Tcos45 to solve for them, then use pythagoras' th. to find the total T.
but I'm not sure if this is the right way for solving it.

any help on especially part i is greatly appreciated! thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
> N=mg-Tsin45degrees =(18kg)(9.81m/s)+Tsin45 degrees

That is from the vertical forces.

> Where I am stuck at is finding the tension in order to find N.

From the horz forces, the other eqn would be

Tx = kN =k(mg - Ty), where Tx=Ty=T/(sqrt 2), k= 0.20.

You can find both N and T now.

Thanks for your reply.

is there any way of determining N without k. Such as, if it were frictionless?

Last edited:
I've found an answer for ii

Ty=N-mg+Tsin45=0
N=mg-Tsin45

Tx=Tcos45-ukN=0
Tcos45=ukN

Substituting N into ukn:
Tcos45=uk(mg-Tsin45)
Tcos45=ukmg-ukTsin45

T= [tex]\frac{ukmg}{cos45-uksing45}[/tex]
=[tex]\frac{(0.38)(18kg)(9.81)}{cos45-(0.38)(sin45)}[/tex]
=153N

I hope this is the right method for Tension

but I'm still stuck for part i since it's asked first I'm assuming that the initial system is frictionless. (therefore, wouldn't the horizontal equation be zero leaving me stuck with only my initial vertical equation for N?)

jen333 said:

Homework Statement

You are dragging a stack of shoeboxes along the floor by a rope (an odd situation I must say). If the total mass of the shoeboxes is 18kg and the rope is pulled at an angle of 45 degrees with no acceleration
i) what is N (normal force)? and
ii) What is the tension of there is a kinetic coefficient friction of 0.20?
The problem states, before i or ii that there is no accn. If there is a horz component Tx acting on the box, but there is no accn, there must be friction between the box and the floor to balance the Tx.

jen333 said:
is there any way of determining N without k. Such as, if it were frictionless?

The box will undergo accn, be lifted off the ground, and N will vary until it vanishes.

jen333 said:
but I'm still stuck for part i since it's asked first I'm assuming that the initial system is frictionless. (therefore, wouldn't the horizontal equation be zero leaving me stuck with only my initial vertical equation for N?)

I hope you understand now that it is not frictionless. The two eqns given in post #2 gives the complete solution. After that it's just algebra.

What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate.

What is Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when a force is applied to an object, the object will exert an equal but opposite force back onto the source of the original force.

How is tension related to Newton's laws of motion?

Tension is a force that is exerted by a string, rope, or cable on an object attached to it. It is related to Newton's laws of motion because tension is an external force that can affect the motion of an object, according to Newton's first and second laws.

How do Newton's laws of motion apply to the tension in a rope?

According to Newton's first law, if there is no external force acting on a rope, it will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity. However, if there is an external force, such as tension, acting on the rope, it can cause the rope to stretch or move in a particular direction. This is in accordance with Newton's second law, where the greater the force of tension, the greater the acceleration of the rope will be.