Newton's Law of Cooling equation

In summary, Newton's Law of Cooling can be used to calculate the temperature difference at any given time.
2RIP
Problem
From Newton's Law of Cooling, we can use the differential equation

dT/dt= -k(T-Ts)

where Ts is the surrounding temperature, k is a positive constant, and T is the temperature.

Let [tex]\tau[/tex] be the time at which the initial temperature difference T0-Ts has been reduced by half. Find the relation between k and [tex]\tau[/tex].

Work

I have found the temperature equation for the object to be

T(t) = Ts + (T0-Ts)e-kt

If the initial temperature difference is reduced by half, i tried

T(t) = Ts + 0.5(T0-Ts)e-kt

but couldn't solve it any further. Could someone please shed some light on what i should do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
2RIP said:
[
I have found the temperature equation for the object to be

T(t) = Ts + (T0-Ts)e-kt

This seems to be right, but here:

If the initial temperature difference is reduced by half, i tried

T(t) = Ts + 0.5(T0-Ts)e-kt

you made some mistake with the parameter t. If we set notation

[tex]
\Delta T(t) = T(t) - T_s,
[/tex]

then the equation you want to solve is

[tex]
\Delta T(\tau) = \frac{1}{2}\Delta T(0).
[/tex]

Oh thanks for replying, i was able to get the correct answer.

k [tex]\tau[/tex] = ln2

However, I'm still a bit unclear of why T([tex]\tau[/tex])-Ts and T0-Ts canceled out during calculation. Or do T([tex]\tau[/tex]) and T0 equal? Also why isn't the 0.5 placed like

T([tex]\tau[/tex]) = Ts + 0.5(T0-Ts)e-k[tex]\tau[/tex], but instead

0.5[T([tex]\tau[/tex])-Ts] = (T0-Ts)e-k[tex]\tau[/tex]

Thanks again!

Last edited:
2RIP said:
Oh thanks for replying, i was able to get the correct answer.

k [tex]\tau[/tex] = ln2

The use of latex like this doesn't seem to be working very well. At least my browser makes that look like [tex]k^{\tau}=\textrm{ln}(2)[/tex], although you are most certainly meaning [tex]k\tau = \textrm{ln}(2)[/tex].

However, I'm still a bit unclear of why T([tex]\tau[/tex])-Ts and T0-Ts canceled out during calculation. Or do T([tex]\tau[/tex]) and T0 equal? Also why isn't the 0.5 placed like

T([tex]\tau[/tex]) = Ts + 0.5(T0-Ts)e-k[tex]\tau[/tex], but instead

0.5[T([tex]\tau[/tex])-Ts] = (T0-Ts)e-k[tex]\tau[/tex]

It looks like you are getting the correct result, because you know what it is, and you are arriving at it "by force". :wink: Just try to chop the problem into smaller pieces, so that you can control it. We want this:

[tex]
\Delta T(\tau) = \frac{1}{2} \Delta T(0)\quad\quad\quad\quad (1)
[/tex]

where the temperature difference at each instant is given by

[tex]
\Delta T(t) = T(t) - T_s = (T_0-T_s) e^{-k t}.
[/tex]

So onto the left side of the equation (1) we get

[tex]
(T_0 - T_s)e^{-k\tau}
[/tex]

and on the right side

[tex]
\frac{1}{2} (T_0 - T_s)e^{-k\cdot 0}.
[/tex]

See how things go then?

Oh yeah i see it now, thanks a lot jostpuur. As for the latex inputs, I think I will go look for some tutorials on this forum. :rofl:

1. What is Newton's Law of Cooling equation?

The Newton's Law of Cooling equation is a mathematical expression that describes the rate at which an object changes temperature while in contact with a medium of different temperature. It states that the rate of change of temperature of an object is proportional to the difference between the object's temperature and the temperature of the medium it is in contact with.

2. What is the significance of Newton's Law of Cooling equation?

Newton's Law of Cooling equation is significant because it helps scientists and engineers to understand and predict how an object's temperature will change over time when it is exposed to different temperatures. It is commonly used in fields such as thermodynamics, heat transfer, and meteorology.

3. How is Newton's Law of Cooling equation derived?

Newton's Law of Cooling equation is derived from the principles of thermodynamics, specifically the second law of thermodynamics which states that heat flows from a hotter object to a cooler object. It is also based on the concept of thermal equilibrium, where two objects in contact will eventually reach the same temperature.

4. Can Newton's Law of Cooling equation be applied to all objects?

No, Newton's Law of Cooling equation is only applicable to objects that are in contact with a medium of different temperature. It also assumes that the object is initially at a different temperature than the medium, and that the temperature difference between the two remains constant throughout the cooling process.

5. How is Newton's Law of Cooling equation used in real-life situations?

Newton's Law of Cooling equation is used in various real-life situations, such as predicting the cooling rate of food and beverages, determining the heat loss of a building, and understanding the cooling process of electronic devices. It is also used in weather forecasting to analyze and predict changes in temperature of the Earth's surface and atmosphere.