How Does Newton's Law of Cooling Apply to a Roast Turkey's Temperature?

In summary, Newton's Law of Cooling states that the rate of cooling of an object is proportional to the temperature difference between the object and its surroundings.
ineedhelpnow
Newton's Law of Cooling states that the rate of cooling of an object is proportional to the temperature difference between the objects and its surroundings. Suppose that a roast turkey is taken from an oven when its temperature has reached $200^oF$ and is placed on a table in a room where the temperature is $85^oF$. If $u(t)$ is the temperature of the turkey after t minutes, then Newton's Law of Cooling implies that $\frac{du}{dt}=k(u-85)$. This could be solved as a separable differential equation. Another method is to make the change of variable $y=u-85$. If the temperature of the turkey is $170^oF$ after half an hour, what is the temperature after $10$ minutes.

Confused. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's law of Cooling states that the time rate of change of the temperature $T$ of an object is proportional to the difference between the ambient temperature $M$ and the temperature of the object. Stated mathematically, this is:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dT}{dt}=-k(T-M)\) where \(\displaystyle T(0)=T_0,\,0<k\in\mathbb{R}\) and \(\displaystyle T>M\).

The ODE is separable and may be written:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{T-M}\,dT=-k\,dt\)

Integrating, using the boundaries, and dummy variables of integration, we find:

\(\displaystyle \int_{T_0}^{T(t)}\frac{1}{u-M}\,du=-k\int_0^t \,dv\)

Can you proceed?

i kind of feel like i know how to do it but at the same time I am really confused and i can't think that straight right now. do you mind going through the problem?

There is another way to solve the ODE associated with the IVP, and that is to write it in standard linear form:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dT}{dt}+kT=kM\)

Compute the integrating factor:

\(\displaystyle \mu(t)=e^{k\int\,dt}=e^{kt}\)

Multiply through by this factor:

\(\displaystyle e^{kt}\frac{dT}{dt}+ke^{kt}T=kMe^{kt}\)

Observing that the left side is now the derivative of the product of the integrating factor and the dependent variable, we may now write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}\left(e^{kt}T \right)=kMe^{kt}\)

Integrate with respect to $t$:

im doing it as a seperable equation. so i integrated both sides and i have ln(u-85)+C=kt. what do i do now?

- - - Updated - - -

and when it says what is the temperature after 10 minutes, does it mean another ten minutes (so 40 min altogether) or does it mean if it was 170 after half an hour what was it after 10 min?

I would write the solution to the general ODE as:

\(\displaystyle \ln(u-85)=-kt+C\)

simply because I like the heat transfer coefficient ($k$) to be non-negative. I would next translate from logarithmic to exponential form, and then use the two given points on the curve:

\(\displaystyle u(0)=200\)

\(\displaystyle u(30)=170\)

to determine the two parameters, $C$ and $k$. Then, once you have the solution to the IVP, evaluate:

\(\displaystyle u(10)\).

Figured it out. Thanks.

What is Newton's Law of Cooling?

Newton's Law of Cooling is a mathematical equation that describes the cooling rate of an object as it loses heat to its surroundings. It states that the rate of change of temperature of an object is directly proportional to the difference between the object's temperature and the temperature of its surroundings.

What are the variables in Newton's Law of Cooling?

The variables in Newton's Law of Cooling are the temperature of the object, the temperature of the surroundings, and the cooling constant, which represents the characteristics of the object and its surroundings.

How is Newton's Law of Cooling used?

Newton's Law of Cooling is used to predict the temperature of an object over time as it cools down. This can be useful in various scientific and engineering applications, such as predicting the cooling rate of a hot beverage or the temperature inside a refrigerator.

Does Newton's Law of Cooling apply to all objects?

No, Newton's Law of Cooling applies specifically to objects that are losing heat to their surroundings. It does not apply to objects that are gaining heat or undergoing other forms of heat transfer, such as convection or radiation.

What other factors can affect the cooling rate of an object?

The cooling rate of an object can also be affected by factors such as the surface area of the object, the material it is made of, and the presence of insulation. These factors can alter the cooling constant and thus change the rate of temperature change according to Newton's Law of Cooling.