Calculating Block's Backward Pull in Physics Problem?

In summary, the conversation is about a question from a grade 12 physics class involving a block being pulled by tension over a triangle at a degree of 35.7. The person understands the question but is unsure about finding the pull of the block's acceleration. They are told to use the formula for the component of gravitational force parallel to the incline. After reading a resource provided, they understand and thank the person for their help.
mayodt
Hey, I have a question I'm stuck on for my grade 12 physics class. There is a block being pulled by tension over a triangle essentially that's at a degree of 35.7 (right angle triangle). I understand the whole question but I don't understand how to find how much pull the block has backwards of it's acceleration? It says it's the mass x gravity x sin 35.7. Why is sin theta added in there? Sorry if this is difficult to understand, if I could draw the picture, this would be so much easier. Thanks if anyone understands my question/can help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
They found the component of the gravitational force parallel to the incline. Read this: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/vectors/u3l3e.cfm"

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh alright, I understand it now, thank you. I didn't think of it that way :biggrin:

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that describe how objects move and interact with each other. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are still used today to understand the behavior of objects in motion.

2. What is the First Law of Motion?

The First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the Second Law of Motion?

The Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed as the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

4. What is the Third Law of Motion?

The Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

5. How are Newton's Laws used in everyday life?

Newton's Laws are used in many aspects of everyday life, from simple actions like walking and throwing a ball, to more complex systems like cars and airplanes. They are also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports to understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion.