1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Laws questions?

1. Jul 6, 2011 #1
    Hey, I have a question I'm stuck on for my grade 12 physics class. There is a block being pulled by tension over a triangle essentially that's at a degree of 35.7 (right angle triangle). I understand the whole question but I don't understand how to find how much pull the block has backwards of it's acceleration? It says it's the mass x gravity x sin 35.7. Why is sin theta added in there? Sorry if this is difficult to understand, if I could draw the picture, this would be so much easier. Thanks if anyone understands my question/can help me out.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

They found the component of the gravitational force parallel to the incline. Read this: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/vectors/u3l3e.cfm" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Jul 6, 2011 #3
    Oh alright, I understand it now, thank you. I didn't think of it that way :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook