1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtons Laws

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball of mass M is suspended by a thin string (of negligible mass) from the ceiling of an elevator. The vertical motion of the elevator as it travels up and down is described in the statements below. Indicate for each of the situations described the relation between value of the tension in the cable, T, and the weight of the ball, Mg, or whether one Cannot tell.
    (Assume that there is no air, i.e., neglect the buoyancy effect of the air.)

The elevator is traveling upward and its upward velocity is decreasing as it nears a stop at a higher floor.

The elevator is traveling downward and its downward velocity is decreasing as it nears a stop at a lower floor.

The elevator is stationary and remains at rest.

The elevator is traveling upward and its upward velocity is increasing as it begins its journey towards a higher floor.

The elevator is traveling upward at a constant velocity.

The elevator is traveling downward and its downward velocity is increasing

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. T>mg
    2. T>mg
    3. T=mg
    4. T<mg
    5. T=mg
    6. T<mg

Where am I going wrong? My answers are not right, but I am not sure where my mistake(s) are.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2
    Draw diagrams showing a ball and three things: the tension, the weight, and the acceleration. Apply newton's 2nd law F=ma and try to deduce the relations.

4. Sep 16, 2007 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Take the first one:
    In this case, acceleration is DOWNWARDS, in the direction of the force of gravity.
    Now, does that mean the upwards tension force is greater or less than the weight of the mass?

5. Sep 16, 2007 #4
    less than

6. Sep 16, 2007 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Quite so!
    Now, give an argument as to why you think 2. is correct.

7. Sep 16, 2007 #6
    because the acceleration is acting upwards, opposite of gravity so the tension force would be greater

8. Sep 16, 2007 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Correct!

Now, study your other answers, present your arguments for your view; you are allowed to change your mind if you think you made some mistake earlier.

9. Sep 16, 2007 #8
    Thank you!

10. Sep 16, 2007 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You are not finished..:smile:

11. Sep 16, 2007 #10
    I know I am working on them... I know the third has to be equal and the 4th I think T would be greater because it is accelerating upwards, opposite of gravity

12. Sep 16, 2007 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You are right; only a "surplus" of tensile force can yield upwards acceleration.

The other relations are right.

13. Sep 16, 2007 #12
    okay thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?