Newton's second low 3 connecting objects

• Thread starter Some body
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a question that involves drawing free body diagrams and solving for unknown variables. The question can be found in a provided link. The person asking for help has struggled with solving the question and has multiple unknowns. Other users suggest drawing free body diagrams and using equations to eliminate some of the unknowns. The person gets help from the others and is able to solve the homework with the given tension, weight, and acceleration values.
Some body
Hi,

I have a problem with solving this question. Could anyone help me please.

The question is in this link http://im42.gulfup.com/BWgfE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the free body diagrams. Make sure you keep in mind that they are not all on a flat surface. Once they are drawn out, seeing how to solve for other things might be easier to visualize.

Yosty22 said:
Draw the free body diagrams. Make sure you keep in mind that they are not all on a flat surface. Once they are drawn out, seeing how to solve for other things might be easier to visualize.

I tried for million times , but still can't solve it , I have about 4 anknown things , tension between A and B , mass for object C , tension between B and C , acceleration for the system before and after cutting the rope between A and B

You do know the acceleration "before". Read carefully what the problem states about the speed of C.

Some body said:
I tried for million times , but still can't solve it , I have about 4 anknown things , tension between A and B , mass for object C , tension between B and C , acceleration for the system before and after cutting the rope between A and B

Have you drawn your free-body diagrams?
These will give you a set of equations which you can use to eliminate some of these unknowns (bearing in mind what voko said about the acceleration).
If you're having trouble with this, show us what you've done.

Thank you all for helping me , you are the best, now I could solve the homework the tension will be 8.75 the weight will be 30.52 and the acceleration will be 1.55 .

1. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate in response to a given force.

2. What does Newton's second law tell us about connecting objects?

Newton's second law also tells us that when two or more objects are connected, the total force acting on each object is equal. This means that if one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will also exert an equal but opposite force on the first object.

3. How does Newton's second law apply to everyday situations?

Newton's second law applies to everyday situations such as pushing a shopping cart, throwing a ball, or riding a bike. In all of these situations, the force applied to the object (shopping cart, ball, bike) will determine how much it accelerates.

4. What is the mathematical equation for Newton's second law?

The mathematical equation for Newton's second law is F = ma, where F represents the net force acting on an object, m represents the mass of the object, and a represents the acceleration of the object.

5. How does Newton's second law relate to other laws of motion?

Newton's second law is closely related to Newton's first and third laws of motion. Newton's first law (also known as the law of inertia) states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's third law (the law of action and reaction) states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Together, these three laws explain the behavior of objects in motion.