What is the pattern behind these numbers?

• Thread starter nnnnnnnn
  • Start date
In summary: Essentially this is your formula with the factor of 3 distributed and n replaced with its square root.
nnnnnnnn
0, 3, 15, 42, 90, ...

What number comes next?

There's something interesting about these numbers (at least to me). <- that's not a clue its just that this isn't just some random series, there's more to it that is mathematical, not personal or a bus route...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i guess the next number is... 165

I get 165 too. The formula is (2 * n + 1) * T(n), where T(n) is the sum of the first n digits, n = 0, 1, 2, ...

jimmysnyder said:
I get 165 too. The formula is (2 * n + 1) * T(n), where T(n) is the sum of the first n digits, n = 0, 1, 2, ...
That works too, the formula I was using is T(0) = 0, T(n) = (T(n-1))/3 + n) * 3. The interesting part was that if you add consecutive numbers, they add to the next set of consecutive numbers, starting with a perfect square and going to the number before the next perfect square. Like 1+2 = 3 and 4+5+6 = 7+8 and so on in a pyramid sort of way.

Last edited:
nnnnnnnn said:
T(0) = 0, T(n) = (T(n-1))/3 + n) * 3.
Is there a typo in this? It doesn't seem to work. For instance

T(1) = (T(0)/3) + 1) * 3 = (0/3 + 1) * 3 = 1 * 3 = 3 is OK, but
T(2) = (T(1)/3) + 2) * 3 = (3/3 + 2) * 3 = 3 * 3 = 9

jimmysnyder said:
Is there a typo in this? It doesn't seem to work. For instance

T(1) = (T(0)/3) + 1) * 3 = (0/3 + 1) * 3 = 1 * 3 = 3 is OK, but
T(2) = (T(1)/3) + 2) * 3 = (3/3 + 2) * 3 = 3 * 3 = 9

It is a typo, it works when n is a perfect square.

nnnnnnnn said:
It is a typo, it works when n is a perfect square.
You lost me there. Can you show me an example of it working? It seems to get the wrong answer for all n greater than 1, including perfect squares.

I miss stated it, it's: T(0) = 0, T(n) = (T( (n^(1/2) -1 )^2 )/3 + n) * 3, when n^(1/2) is an integer.

so for n = 4, its T(4) = ( T(1)/3 + 4 )*3 = (3/3 + 4)*3 = 15

It can also be n + (n + 1) + ... + (n + n^(1/2)) = (n + n^(1/2) + 1) + ... + ( n + 2*n^(1/2) )

Last edited:
nnnnnnnn said:
I miss stated it, it's: T(0) = 0, T(n) = (T( (n^(1/2) -1 )^2 )/3 + n) * 3, when n^(1/2) is an integer.
so for n = 4, its T(4) = ( T(1)/3 + 4 )*3 = (3/3 + 4)*3 = 15
It can also be n + (n + 1) + ... + (n + n^(1/2)) = (n + n^(1/2) + 1) + ... + ( n + 2*n^(1/2) )
I still don't get it. In your sequence, T(4) is 90, not 15.

i think it would be simpler to express the formula like this:

nth term = (2*n^3 + 3*n^2 + n)/2 , where n=0,1,2,3,4,...

... or it can be this way also...

nth term = (2*n^3 - 3*n^2 + n)/2 , where n=1,2,3,4,5,... :cool:

jimmysnyder said:
I still don't get it. In your sequence, T(4) is 90, not 15.

It works if you do it for n= 0^2, 1^2, 2^2, ...

then 2^2 = 15, but 4^2 = 90.

croxbearer said:
i think it would be simpler to express the formula like this:
nth term = (2*n^3 + 3*n^2 + n)/2 , where n=0,1,2,3,4,...

I think that would make it simpler too. Before I figured out the recursive function, I was using excel with the formula n + (n+1) + ... + (n+n^(1/2)), that was a pain because you can't just copy and paste...

nnnnnnnn said:
It works if you do it for n= 0^2, 1^2, 2^2, ...
then 2^2 = 15, but 4^2 = 90.
Work it out for me for 3^2 and maybe I'll finally get it.

T(n) = (T( (n^(1/2) -1 )^2 )/3 + n) * 3

T(0) = 0
T(1) = 3
T(4) = 15

T(3^2) = ( T(2^2) )/3 + 3^2) * 3 = (15/3 + 9) * 3 = 42

I think the problem was that I knew what I was thinking but then I didn't clearly state it. I was intending that T(n-1) would be the next lowest perfect square, so if n=9, I had n-1=4, even though I didnt state that until later. The most recent post should be an accurate formula.

Thanks nnnnnnnn, I finally get it. You could simplify your own formula greatly as follows:

G(0) = 0
G(n) = G(n-1) + 3n^2, n = 1, 2, 3, ...

Essentially this is your formula with the factor of 3 distributed and n replaced with its square root.

For example:
G(0) = 0
G(1) = G(0) + 3 * 1 * 1 = 0 + 3 = 3
G(2) = G(1) + 3 * 2 * 2 = 3 + 12 = 15
G(3) = G(2) + 3 * 3 * 3 = 15 * 27 = 42
G(4) = G(3) + 3 * 4 * 4 = 42 + 48 = 90
etc.

I saw this too, and it would have been much easier to use. When I noticed the pattern (1+2=3, 4+5+6=7+8...), the perfect squares stuck out and then when I came up with the recursive function I was looking at it more from a point of view of the squares than I was from the pov of a sequense. Anyways I decided to keep it that way (even though it is more confusing and harder for me to state what I meant) because it seemed more related to the pattern.

1. What is the significance of patterns in numbers?

The significance of patterns in numbers is that they can help us identify relationships and make predictions based on past data. This is especially useful in fields such as statistics, economics, and science.

2. How can I identify patterns in numbers?

To identify patterns in numbers, you can start by looking for repeating sequences, trends, or relationships between different numbers. Graphing the numbers can also help visualize any patterns that may exist.

3. What can patterns in numbers tell us about a dataset?

Patterns in numbers can tell us a lot about a dataset. They can reveal underlying relationships between variables, highlight outliers or anomalies, and provide insights into the behavior or trends of the data.

4. Can patterns in numbers be used to make predictions?

Yes, patterns in numbers can be used to make predictions. By identifying and analyzing patterns in a dataset, we can make educated guesses about future values or trends.

5. Are there different types of patterns in numbers?

Yes, there are different types of patterns in numbers. Some common types include arithmetic sequences, geometric sequences, and Fibonacci sequences. Other types of patterns can include cyclical patterns, random patterns, or chaotic patterns.