No prefix: How far does a car move before running out of gas on a road?

• Thread starter ArcherofScience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the car is moving at 45 km/hr and runs out of gas, taking 6.0s to roll to a stop. Using the equation x=(vi+vf)/2 *t, with vi as 45 km/hr and vf as 0 km/hr, the answer is 135 m, but this is incorrect. By converting the velocity to m/s, we get the correct answer of 37.5 m.
ArcherofScience
car moving down road...

Homework Statement

A car is moving down a road at 45 km/hr when it runs out of gas. How far does the car move if it takes 6.0s to roll to a stop?

Homework Equations

x=(vi+vf)/2 *t I tried this equation, but I got the answer of 135 m. It says the answer is 37.5 m in the answers given by the teacher.

The Attempt at a Solution

I set it up this way:

vi: 45 km/hr
vf: 0
t= 6.0 s
x=?
x= (45+0)/2 * 6.0 = 135 mI want to know what I'm doing wrong, am I using the wrong equation? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

ArcherofScience said:

Homework Statement

A car is moving down a road at 45 km/hr when it runs out of gas. How far does the car move if it takes 6.0s to roll to a stop?

Homework Equations

x=(vi+vf)/2 *t I tried this equation, but I got the answer of 135 m. It says the answer is 37.5 m in the answers given by the teacher.

The Attempt at a Solution

I set it up this way:

vi: 45 km/hr
vf: 0
t= 6.0 s
x=?
x= (45+0)/2 * 6.0 = 135 m

I want to know what I'm doing wrong, am I using the wrong equation? Thanks.
I suspect that you need to convert the velocity to m/sec.

yeh it worked, i got the right answer ! :approve: :D

thankyou! :)

Related to No prefix: How far does a car move before running out of gas on a road?

1. How does a car move down the road?

When a car is in motion, its wheels rotate due to the engine's power, causing the car to move forward. This motion is then transferred to the road through friction between the tires and the road surface, propelling the car forward.

2. What factors affect a car's movement down the road?

The speed of the car, the terrain or condition of the road, and the car's weight and engine power are all factors that can affect a car's movement down the road. Other factors such as wind resistance, air pressure, and tire pressure can also have an impact.

3. How does a car's speed affect its movement down the road?

The faster a car is moving, the more force is required to overcome air resistance and maintain its speed. This is why it takes more fuel to drive at high speeds compared to lower speeds. Additionally, higher speeds increase the risk of accidents and require longer distances to stop.

4. What is the role of friction in a car's movement down the road?

Friction between the tires and the road is essential for a car to move forward. Without friction, the wheels would simply spin in place and the car would not be able to move. The amount of friction depends on the condition of the road surface and the type and quality of the tires.

5. How do different road conditions affect a car's movement?

Various road conditions, such as wet or icy surfaces, can significantly impact a car's movement down the road. These conditions can decrease the amount of friction between the tires and the road, making it more difficult for the car to maintain its speed and control. It is important for drivers to adjust their driving techniques and speed according to the road conditions to ensure safe and efficient movement.