Feeling Stuck? Help with This Example Problem!

In summary: You get the current flowing through the 4 ohm resistor, the current flowing through the 6 ohm resistor, and the current flowing through the 3 ohm resistor. In summary, the current going through the voltage source is the current through the 4 ohm resistor and the current through the 6 ohm resistor and the dependant voltage source.
wencme
I can't tell you how many attempts I've had at this. I must be following the current wrong, or something...

PLEASE HELP.. this is an example from the chapter! I feel very stupid...

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 546
Physics news on Phys.org
You are forgetting about the current through that dependent source.
To easily solve this you can use a method that my basic EE proffesor called supernodes. You can use a supernode whenever two node are directly linked by a voltage source.

First define V3 and V2 in respect to V1.

then write 1 equation for the current leaving all three nodes and solve.

Show me some work or an attempt!

I already found those values. I have 3 of the 4 equations I need and I can't understand how to find the formula for the V1 node. there is i4 and i1 coming out, but nothing going into the node. Here are the formulas I already found:
V2=V1-25
V3=V2+2.5V1
2V1-3V2-6V3=0

the current going into the node is the current that goes through the voltage source.

The current that goes through the voltage source is the current through the 4 ohm resistor and the dependant voltage source.

The current through the dependant voltage source is the current through the 6 ohm resistor and the current through the 3 ohm resisitor

If you use true nodal analysis it all has to be solved as one node

I used the formulas you suggested and still cannot get the correct answer. The book says v1=7.608 v2=-17.39 v3=1.6035

Any further help will be greatly appreciated - I have spent hours on this problem

Hi wencme. Let's see if we can't get you a satisfactory solution.

My suggestion is to begin by writing the single supernode equation making use of the voltages as labelled. Then write out the relationships between the voltages as you've doe above, and substitute them into the supernode equation leaving only one voltage variable.

Here's your circuit redrawn to indicate the supernode. Your supernode equation will contain terms for each node where the supernode "bubble" cuts a conductor.

attachment.php?attachmentid=72057&stc=1&d=1407710850.gif

Can you write out the supernode equation, first using V1, V2, and V3 to begin with?

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,001
None of this helps. I have tried this problem 11 ways to Sunday and still cannot arrive at the correct answer! This is a chapter intro PRACTICE problem and is not for homework or for a grade. I simply want to know how to solve this thing.

wencme said:
I already found those values. I have 3 of the 4 equations I need and I can't understand how to find the formula for the V1 node. there is i4 and i1 coming out, but nothing going into the node. Here are the formulas I already found:
V2=V1-25
V3=V2+2.5V1
2V1-3V2-6V3=0

You only need 3 equations, not 4.

These 2 equations are correct:

V2=V1-25
V3=V2+2.5V1

The three nodes V1, V2 and V3 form a supernode. The 6 ohm resistor is just connected from one node of the supernode to another node of the supernode; whatever current passes through it enters the supernode at one end and leaves the supernode at the other end--you can ignore it.

Treating V1, V2 and V3 as if they were all one node, sum the currents leaving it:

V1/2 + V2/4 + V3/3 = 0

That's the additional equation you need--the supernode equation. What do you get if you solve all three equations?

Likes 1 person

FAQ: Feeling Stuck? Help with This Example Problem!

1. Why do I feel stuck in this particular problem?

Feeling stuck in a problem can happen for a variety of reasons. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the problem, not having enough information or resources, or feeling overwhelmed by the complexity of the problem.

2. How can I overcome feeling stuck in this problem?

There are several strategies you can try to overcome feeling stuck in a problem. Some suggestions include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable tasks, seeking help or advice from others, taking a break and returning to the problem with a fresh perspective, or using different problem-solving techniques.

3. What can I do if I don't know where to start with this problem?

If you don't know where to start with a problem, the first step is to make sure you fully understand the problem and its requirements. If you are still unsure, you can try brainstorming possible solutions or seeking guidance from a mentor or colleague.

4. How can I stay motivated while working on this problem?

Staying motivated while working on a problem can be challenging, especially if you feel stuck. One way to stay motivated is to set smaller, achievable goals and celebrate each accomplishment. Additionally, reminding yourself of the importance and potential impact of solving the problem can also help keep you motivated.

5. What should I do if I can't find a solution to this problem?

If you can't find a solution to a problem, it's important not to get discouraged. Instead, take a step back and reassess the problem. You can also try looking at the problem from a different perspective or seeking feedback from others. If all else fails, don't be afraid to ask for help or consider approaching the problem in a different way.