Solving Node Voltages: Va & Vb

• Thread starter Color_of_Cyan
  • Start date
In summary: Be consistent.In summary, when you're doing nodal analysis1. One must decide what sign he will give to currents entering and leaving a node. He must be consistent.2. One must decide what sign he will give to voltages at each node. He must be consistent.3. One must identify all currents on his schematic.4. One must identify all voltages on his schematic.
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us/a/img822/5921/homeworkprobsg22.jpg

Determine the values of the node voltages Va and Vb

Homework Equations

Nodal analysis, V = IR

maybe KVL and/or KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the wrong answer / not sure what the reference node is used for (I know it's the one connecting to ground though, does it have to do with the current?)Vb - Va = 12V

Vb = Va + 12VKCL at a:

1.5A + I = Va/6Ω

I = -1.5A + Va/6ΩKCL at B: 3.5A + I + Vb/3Ω = 0Plugging Vb into KCL at b:

3.5A + I + (Va + 12)/3Ω = 0Now plugging in KCL at a, and then solving for Va:

3.5A -1.5A + Va/6Ω + (Va + 12V)/3Ω = 0

2A + (Va + 2Va + 24V)/6Ω = 0

2A + (3Va + 24V)/6Ω = 0

(3Va + 24V)/6Ω = -2A

3Va + 24V = -12V

3Va = -30V

thus

Va = -10V which is supposedly wrong and would make Vb = 2V also wrongWhere did I go wrong?Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Color_of_Cyan said:

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us/a/img822/5921/homeworkprobsg22.jpg

Determine the values of the node voltages Va and Vb

Homework Equations

Nodal analysis, V = IR

maybe KVL and/or KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the wrong answer / not sure what the reference node is used for (I know it's the one connecting to ground though, does it have to do with the current?)

Vb - Va = 12V

Vb = Va + 12V

KCL at a:

1.5A + I = Va/6Ω

I = -1.5A + Va/6Ω

KCL at B: 3.5A + I + Vb/3Ω = 0

Plugging Vb into KCL at b:

3.5A + I + (Va + 12)/3Ω = 0

Now plugging in KCL at a, and then solving for Va:

3.5A -1.5A + Va/6Ω + (Va + 12V)/3Ω = 0

2A + (Va + 2Va + 24V)/6Ω = 0

2A + (3Va + 24V)/6Ω = 0

(3Va + 24V)/6Ω = -2A

3Va + 24V = -12V

3Va = -30V

thus

Va = -10V which is supposedly wrong and would make Vb = 2V also wrong

Where did I go wrong?

Thank you.

(-12 - 24) is not -30

Last edited by a moderator:
Color_of_Cyan said:
KCL at a:

1.5A + I = Va/6Ω

I = -1.5A + Va/6Ω

Besides the numerical error gneill pointed out, I would say a few things.

First, you didn't identify the current "I" on your schematic. When you're asking for help, make everything about your problem clear. If those who would help you have to exert extra effort to decipher things you should have labeled, they may just decide not to bother. Apparently the current "I" is the current through the 12 volt source.

Now, when you're doing nodal analysis you need to adhere to certain conventions. In particular you must decide what sign to give currents at the nodes. I prefer to use the convention that currents leaving a node are taken to be positive. It's not necessary to use this convention; one may equally well choose to take currents entering the node to be positive, but you must be consistent.

You were not consistent, and therefore incurred some compensating errors.

At this point:

1.5A + I = Va/6Ω

you have given a positive sign to the current "I".

And here:

you have also given a positive sign to "I". The first occurrence was at node a and the second at node b. The current "I" must have different signs at node a and node b.

The compensating error is that in this equation:

1.5A + I = Va/6Ω

if we rearrange it, we have:

1.5A + I - Va/6Ω = 0

The current in the 6Ω resistor going to ground is taken to be negative, but in this equation:

3.5A + I + Vb/3Ω = 0

the current in the 3Ω resistor going to ground is taken to be positive.

As I say, you lucked out and you had compensating errors. You may not be so lucky the next time.

1. What is the purpose of solving node voltages Va and Vb?

The purpose of solving node voltages Va and Vb is to determine the voltage at specific points or nodes in an electrical circuit. This information is crucial for analyzing the behavior and performance of the circuit, as well as for troubleshooting any issues that may arise.

2. How do you solve for Va and Vb in a circuit?

To solve for Va and Vb, you can use the node voltage method. This involves selecting a reference node and assigning it a voltage of 0. Then, using Kirchhoff's Current Law and Ohm's Law, you can write and solve a system of equations to find the values of Va and Vb.

3. What are the benefits of using node voltages to analyze a circuit?

Using node voltages allows for a simplified and systematic approach to analyzing a circuit. It also allows for easy visualization of voltage drops and current flow within the circuit, making it easier to identify and troubleshoot any issues.

4. Can you solve for node voltages if there are voltage sources in the circuit?

Yes, you can still solve for node voltages even if there are voltage sources in the circuit. The voltage sources will be taken into account when writing the equations for Kirchhoff's Current Law and will ultimately be included in the solution for Va and Vb.

5. Are there any limitations to using the node voltage method?

The node voltage method assumes that the circuit is in steady-state and contains only independent voltage sources. It also requires a systematic approach and may become more complex for larger circuits with multiple nodes. Additionally, the method does not take into account the effects of parasitic elements and non-linear components.