Noetherian currents and the Surface term

In summary, the assumption that is usually imposed on W^{\mu} is that it vanishes sufficiently fast for the boundary terms to vanish, ensuring that it does not affect the action under variation and can be included in the current.
cpsinkule
When deriving the conserved currents from continuous symmetries, my book states that we can also add a 4-divergence to the lagrangian density which does not change the action under variation. The four divergence can be transformed into a boundary integral by stokes theorem. However, my book fails to mention any assumptions we are making about this extra term so that it does not contribute to the variation of the action. The final result is the current
JμμδΦ-Wμ where the Wμ is from the four divergence mentioned above ∂μWμ
My question is: What assumptions, if any, are imposed on the Wμ so that it doesn't affect the action under variation so that we can include it in the current?

Physics news on Phys.org
The usual assumption is that the fields go to zero sufficiently fast for the boundary terms to vanish.

cpsinkule said:
When deriving the conserved currents from continuous symmetries, my book states that we can also add a 4-divergence to the lagrangian density which does not change the action under variation. The four divergence can be transformed into a boundary integral by stokes theorem. However, my book fails to mention any assumptions we are making about this extra term so that it does not contribute to the variation of the action. The final result is the current
JμμδΦ-Wμ where the Wμ is from the four divergence mentioned above ∂μWμ
My question is: What assumptions, if any, are imposed on the Wμ so that it doesn't affect the action under variation so that we can include it in the current?

Yes, it is always possible to add a total divergence to the Lagrangian without affecting the dynamics. Indeed, you can show that [tex]S = \int_{\Omega} d^4 x \ \mathcal{L},[/tex] and [tex]S = \int_{\Omega} d^4 x \ (\mathcal{L} + \partial_{\mu} V^{\mu}) ,[/tex] lead to the same Euler-Lagrange equation provided that the “arbitrary” vector [itex]V^{\mu}[/itex] vanishes on the boundary of the region of integration: [tex]\int_{\Omega} d^{4}x \ \partial_{\mu}V^{\mu} = \int_{\partial \Omega} d\Sigma_{\mu} \ V^{\mu} = 0 .[/tex] However, your book is very wrong in saying that this arbitrary vector [itex]V^{\mu}[/itex] is the same vector [itex]W^{\mu}[/itex] which appears as part of the Noether current. The vector [itex]W^{\mu}[/itex] is not arbitrary, rather it depends on the form of the Lagrangian. The [itex]W^{\mu}[/itex] simply tells you how the Lagrangian transforms under the action of the symmetry group and, therefore, it cannot be arbitrary.

1. What is a Noetherian current?

A Noetherian current is a mathematical object used in theoretical physics to describe the behavior of symmetry transformations. It is a differential form that captures the variation of a Lagrangian density under a continuous symmetry transformation.

2. What is the significance of Noetherian currents in physics?

Noetherian currents play a crucial role in modern physics, particularly in the study of gauge theories and general relativity. They provide a framework for understanding the fundamental symmetries of physical systems and have applications in fields such as particle physics and cosmology.

3. How are Noetherian currents related to the Surface term?

The Surface term is a mathematical expression that arises when calculating the action of a Noetherian current. It represents the contribution of boundary terms to the total action, and is important for maintaining the consistency of the theory.

4. Can Noetherian currents be used to derive conservation laws?

Yes, the existence of a Noetherian current associated with a particular symmetry transformation implies the existence of a corresponding conserved quantity. This connection between symmetries and conservation laws is a fundamental principle in physics.

5. Are there any practical applications of Noetherian currents?

While Noetherian currents are primarily used in theoretical physics, they have also found applications in other fields such as computer graphics and image processing. They provide a powerful mathematical tool for analyzing and understanding complex systems.