1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-homogeneous differential equation

1. Sep 27, 2007 #1
    How can I solve (x^2)y'' - 2xy + 2y = (x^3)sinx ?

I've used Euler-Caucy to find the homogeneous eq. (C1)e^x + (C2)e^2x. Then I've calculated the wronski (either e^3x or -e^3x depending on which function is y1 and y2). The rest involves solving the integral of xsin(x)/e^x and xsin(x)/e^2x, whics seems quite difficult. Am I on the right track?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You've done that wrong. If y= ex, then y'= y"= ex. Putting those into the homogeneous equation, [itex]x^2e^x- 2xe^2+ 2e^x= (x^2- 2x+2)e^x[/itex] NOT 0. The same is true for e2x: it is clearly NOT a solution. (I'm assuming that "2xy" was supposed to be 2xy'.) I thought perhaps you had confused this with a "constant coefficients" equation but ex and e2x do not satisfy y"- 2y'+ 2y= 0 either, the satisfy y"- 3y'+2y=0. This is an "Euler type" or "equi-potential" equation. You can convert it into a constant coefficients equation, in t, by making the change of variable t= ln(x). Hmm. It converts to y"- 3y'+ 2y= 0 which DOES have et and e2t as solutions! It looks like eln(x)= x and e2ln(x)= x2 are solutions to your homogeneous equation.

Redo the Wronskian, using y1= x and y2= x2.

4. Sep 27, 2007 #3
    Ah, of course, Euler-Cauchy. Thanks, now I got the right answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?