1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-Ideal Battery Voltage with few data points

1. Mar 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem includes a graph. All I have is a current to external resistance graph, with 20 A coming at 10R of external resistance. I am to find the EMF and internal resistance of the battery.

Here is the problem and my two attempts.
    http://1drv.ms/1LKbu5H

2. Relevant equations
    DeltaV = E - I * Rinternal

3. The attempt at a solution

I included two of my attempts at a solution. In both cases I simplify the circuit such that I can find the R equivalent from Rinternal and Rexternal. While that can give me a ratio, I still don't know what the EMF of the battery is.

One idea I had was to assume the max current on the graph (60 amps) is the max current the system can take. If this is correct, then I can reformulate the earlier formula to find a 'max possible I'. With this, I can find E in terms of Rin and I do find a solution, though I am highly unconfident if this is allowed.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

I believe your idea is right. This is the only approach to solve this problem.

4. Mar 7, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

They have been kind to you by plotting the current at no external resistance. More generally you would not have such a datapoint, so it's worth knowing how to proceed in that case.
    Consider the points (5, 30) and (10, 20). If the battery voltage is V and internal resistance R, what equations do those two datapoints allow you to write?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted