Non-Ideal Battery Voltage with few data points

In summary: DeltaV = E - I * RinternalI believe the equations that would be given are DeltaV = 60A - 10R and DeltaV = 10R - 20R.
FireZealot

Homework Statement

The problem includes a graph. All I have is a current to external resistance graph, with 20 A coming at 10R of external resistance. I am to find the EMF and internal resistance of the battery.

Here is the problem and my two attempts.
http://1drv.ms/1LKbu5H

Homework Equations

DeltaV = E - I * Rinternal

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I included two of my attempts at a solution. In both cases I simplify the circuit such that I can find the R equivalent from Rinternal and Rexternal. While that can give me a ratio, I still don't know what the EMF of the battery is.

One idea I had was to assume the max current on the graph (60 amps) is the max current the system can take. If this is correct, then I can reformulate the earlier formula to find a 'max possible I'. With this, I can find E in terms of Rin and I do find a solution, though I am highly unconfident if this is allowed.

Physics news on Phys.org
FireZealot said:
One idea I had was to assume the max current on the graph (60 amps) is the max current the system can take. If this is correct, then I can reformulate the earlier formula to find a 'max possible I'. With this, I can find E in terms of Rin and I do find a solution, though I am highly unconfident if this is allowed.
I believe your idea is right. This is the only approach to solve this problem.

FireZealot said:
They have been kind to you by plotting the current at no external resistance. More generally you would not have such a datapoint, so it's worth knowing how to proceed in that case.
Consider the points (5, 30) and (10, 20). If the battery voltage is V and internal resistance R, what equations do those two datapoints allow you to write?

1. What is a non-ideal battery voltage?

A non-ideal battery voltage refers to the voltage output of a battery that does not match the theoretical or expected voltage based on the battery's specifications. This can be due to various factors such as internal resistance, temperature, and age of the battery.

2. How can I measure the voltage of a non-ideal battery with few data points?

The voltage of a non-ideal battery can be measured using a voltmeter or multimeter. However, with few data points, the accuracy of the measurement may be limited. It is best to take multiple measurements at different times and conditions to get a more accurate average voltage.

3. What factors can affect the voltage of a non-ideal battery?

There are several factors that can affect the voltage of a non-ideal battery, including internal resistance, temperature, age, and load. Internal resistance can cause a drop in voltage when the battery is under load, while temperature and age can affect the chemical reactions within the battery, resulting in a change in voltage output.

4. How can I improve the voltage output of a non-ideal battery?

To improve the voltage output of a non-ideal battery, you can try reducing the load on the battery, using a battery with a lower internal resistance, and keeping the battery at a suitable temperature. Additionally, regularly charging and maintaining the battery can also help improve its voltage output.

5. Can a non-ideal battery be dangerous?

In some cases, a non-ideal battery can be dangerous, especially if it is overcharged or subjected to extreme temperatures. It is important to handle and use non-ideal batteries with caution and follow proper charging and storage guidelines to prevent any potential hazards.