1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-linear ODE: Use change of variable to solve the equation for initial conditions

1. Jul 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When an insoluble bubble rises in a deep pool of liquid, its volume increases according to the ideal gas law. However, when a soluble bubble rises from deep submersion, there is a competing action of dissolution that tends to reduce size. Under practical conditions, it has been proven that the mass transfer coefficient, [itex]k_c[/itex], for spherical bubbles in free-fall (or free-rise) is constant. Thus, for sparingly soluble bubbles released from rest, the applicable material balance is

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\,\frac{4\,C\,\pi}{3}\,R^3\,=\,-k_c\,C^*\,4\pi\,R^2[/tex]

where the molar density of the gas

[tex]C\,=\,\frac{P}{R_g\,T}[/tex]

with [itex]R_g[/itex] and T as the ideal gas constant and temperature, respectively. [itex]C^*[/itex] is the molar solubility of the gas in the liquid, and R(t) is the bubble radius, which changes over time. The pressure P at a distance z from the top of the liquid surface is

[tex]P\,=\,P_A\,+\,\rho_L\,g\,z[/tex]

where [itex]\rho_L[/itex]is the liquid density and g is the gravitational acceleration. The rise velocity, [itex]\frac{dz}{dt}[/itex], follows a linear relation between speed and size

[tex]\frac{dz}{dt}\,=\,\beta\,R(t)[/tex]

where [itex]\beta[/itex] is a constant that depends on the liquid viscosity.

SHOW that a change of variables allows the material balance equation to be written as

[tex]R\,\frac{dR}{dP}\,+\,\left(\frac{1}{3}\right)\,\frac{R^2}{P}\,=\,-\frac{\lambda}{P}[/tex]

and

[tex]\lambda\,=\,\frac{k_c\,R_g\,T\,C^*}{\rho_L\,g\,\beta}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Algebra and the Calculus.

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\frac{dz}{dt}\,=\,\beta\,R(t)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\,=\,\beta\,R(t)\,\frac{d}{dz}[/tex]

Substituting into the original material balance equation:

[tex]\beta\,R(t)\,\frac{d}{dz}\,\left(\frac{P}{R_g\,T}\,\frac{4\pi\,R^3}{3}\right)\,=\,-k_c\,C^*\,4\pi\,R^2[/tex]

Here I am stuck, how do I "show" that the two versions of the material balance equations are equivalent?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2011 #2
    Re: Non-linear ODE: Use change of variable to solve the equation for initial conditio

Hey I am doing this question at the moment, I found this thread while doing a google search. Do you remember how you solved it?

I've reached about just as far, but I've found lambda by using dP/dz = rhoL*g

(Don't really know how to use html code tbh.)

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?