1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-uniform inertia

1. Jul 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A cylinder with radius R and mass M has density that increases linearly with radial distance r from the cylinder axis, ie. [itex]\rho[/itex]=[itex]\rho[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex](r/R), where [itex]\rho[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex] is a positive constant. Show that the moment of inertia of this cylinder about a longitudinal axis through the centre is given by I=(3MR[itex]^{3}[/itex])/5

2. Relevant equations

volume = 2[itex]\pi[/itex]rL.dr

3. The attempt at a solution

integrate between 0 and R to obtain

However, I do not understand how to express this without using the term [itex]\rho_{0}[/itex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Find an expression for M in terms of ρ0.
  4. Jul 6, 2011 #3
    I realise this, however as the density is not constant, I am unsure of how to do this.
  5. Jul 6, 2011 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Set up an integral to solve for the total mass, just like you set one up for the rotational inertia.

Once you get M in terms of ρ0, you can rewrite your answer in terms of M instead of ρ0.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?