Noncommutative geometry in leaf spaces of classical physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the relevance of noncommutative geometry in classical physics, specifically in the context of leaf spaces in classical mechanics. The speaker mentions that in a classical scenario, if a particle is confined to a 2-dimensional torus and then flicked in a specific direction, the resulting orbit and translates will foliate the space. This leads to the idea of studying the leaf space under the quotient topology of this foliation, which can be either a circle or a singular space depending on the angle at which the particle was flicked. The speaker suggests that this is an interesting manifestation of noncommutative geometry in classical physics, as classical measure theory cannot answer questions about the leaf space in the case of irrational angles. The
Monocles
I was trying to think of natural physical reasons to want to study noncommutative geometry, and it seems to me that it should be relevant even in a classical scenario. Let me know what you think of this as I am no expert. I'm not being terribly precise, either, so let me know if I should elaborate.

Let a classical particle be confined to a 2-dimensional torus V. Then if you flick the particle in a direction so that it starts moving, the particle's orbit and translates of the orbit will foliate the space, with the particle confined to a certain leaf of the foliation. Then it should be interesting to look at the leaf space under the quotient topology of this foliation, no? If the angle at which the particle flicked was rational, then the leaf space is just the circle S^1. But if the angle is irrational then the orbits are no longer diffeomorphic to the circle S^1 but are instead diffeomorphic to the real line, and the leaf space is now singular! Then in order to say anything interesting about the leaf space one must turn to noncommutative geometry (von Neumann algebras)

Leaf spaces in classical mechanics seem a natural object to study since let's say that the particle started on a uniformly-picked random leaf of the foliation and we want to know the probability that the particle is on a given subset of leaves. Then we measure how much of the leaf space that subset of leaves takes up to get the probability that the particle is on that subset of leaves. In the irrational angle case, the leaf space is singular and so the question cannot be answered with the classical measure theory of the leaf space. But it still seems like a very physical question to ask, so it seems to me that this is a natural manifestation of noncommutative geometry in classical physics.

If this really is an example of noncommutative geometry appearing in classical physics, what are some other examples? And any other comments on this topic are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
After some further thought I do not think this is a good question. Asking 'which leaf is it on' doesn't have anything to do with the dynamics and is only dependent on where the particle started. So it is just a game of chance and not really a classical mechanics problem

1. What is noncommutative geometry?

Noncommutative geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies geometric objects and spaces using noncommutative algebra. In simple terms, it deals with spaces where the order of operations matters, unlike traditional geometry where the order does not affect the outcome.

2. How does noncommutative geometry relate to classical physics?

Noncommutative geometry has been used to study and model various physical systems, including those described by classical physics. It provides a framework for analyzing and understanding the underlying structures and symmetries of these systems.

3. What are leaf spaces in the context of noncommutative geometry?

In noncommutative geometry, leaf spaces refer to the set of all possible states or configurations of a physical system. They are often represented by points in a mathematical space, and their properties and relationships can be studied using noncommutative algebraic techniques.

4. How does noncommutative geometry in leaf spaces differ from traditional geometry?

Noncommutative geometry in leaf spaces takes into account the noncommutativity of operations, whereas traditional geometry assumes that the order of operations does not matter. This allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of physical systems, especially those with complex or non-linear dynamics.

5. What are some applications of noncommutative geometry in leaf spaces?

Noncommutative geometry in leaf spaces has been used in various fields, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and string theory. It has also been applied to the study of complex systems such as networks, biological systems, and financial markets.