Nonlinear ODE: Analytical Solution?

In summary, the conversation discusses a nonlinear first-order ODE with known values for B, A, and Z. The speaker has already solved it numerically using a 4th order RK routine and is now questioning the possibility of obtaining an analytical solution for H(t). They suggest using h = H-Z to simplify the equation, but state that Mathematica finds the solution to be messy and they are unsure how to obtain an expression for H(t).
Pepo
Nonlinear 1st order ODE

[tex]\frac{dH}{dt}[/tex]=B-A*(H-Z)[tex]^{3/2}[/tex]
where:
B,A and Z are known values

H=f(t); H is function of t

I've already solve this ODE numerically using a 4th order RK routine. But my question is, it is possible to get an analytical solution for H(t)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
first let h = H-Z, then you get

h' = b-ah^(3/2)

mathematica finds it messy...
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=h'(t)+%3D+b-a*(h(t))^(3/2)

lanedance said:
first let h = H-Z, then you get

h' = b-ah^(3/2)

lanedance said:
mathematica finds it messy...
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=h'(t)+%3D+b-a*(h(t))^(3/2)

I have try it plugging it with h=H-Z in mathematica but the solution is a mess. I really don't know how to get an expression for H(t) from this. :-/

there may not be one...

1. What is a nonlinear ODE?

A nonlinear ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that describes how a variable changes over time, taking into account both the current value of the variable and its rate of change. Unlike linear ODEs, which have a linear relationship between the variable and its derivatives, nonlinear ODEs have a more complex relationship that cannot be expressed simply as a straight line.

2. What is an analytical solution for a nonlinear ODE?

An analytical solution for a nonlinear ODE is a closed-form expression that can be used to calculate the exact solution for any given input. This means that the solution can be written in terms of known mathematical functions and operations, without the need for numerical approximation methods.

3. How do you find an analytical solution for a nonlinear ODE?

Finding an analytical solution for a nonlinear ODE can be a challenging task, as it often involves using advanced mathematical techniques such as integration, substitution, and series expansions. In some cases, it may not be possible to find an analytical solution, and numerical methods must be used instead.

4. What are the advantages of using an analytical solution for a nonlinear ODE?

One of the main advantages of using an analytical solution for a nonlinear ODE is that it provides a precise and exact solution, without any errors introduced by numerical approximation methods. Additionally, analytical solutions can often reveal important insights into the behavior and properties of the system described by the ODE.

5. What are some real-world applications of nonlinear ODEs and their analytical solutions?

Nonlinear ODEs and their analytical solutions have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. They are used to model complex systems and phenomena, such as chemical reactions, population growth, and electrical circuits. Analytical solutions allow for more accurate predictions and insights into these systems, helping scientists and engineers make informed decisions and design more efficient solutions.