Nonrelativistic perihelion drift, best references ?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a reference for the classical calculation of the perihelion drift of Mercury, which guarantees precision and is easily accessible online. The person is interested in seeing a detailed analytical derivation of the perihelion drift starting from the equations of motion and using a perturbation theory. They mention finding several references but none that derive the model from Newton's equation. They express their interest in finding a reference that explains this.
lalbatros
Hello,

I have found several overviews on the classical perihelion drift calculation from the planets perturbations.
However, I could not identify what the best reference would be.

I am -of course- interrested by those calculations that garantee a precision compatible with the discussion of the GR corrections.
I would also prefer the clearest and most synthetic presentation.
Finally, it would be nice if this paper would be available on the net. :rolleyes:

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I am still interrested in a reference on the classical calculation of the perihelion drift of mercury.
I took quite some time to Google for that and could not find what I am looking for.
Very surprising.

I would just like to see the detailled analytical derivation for the perihelion drift.
Starting from the equations of motion, detailling a perturbation theory and providing the end result.

I found several references modeling the perturbing planets orbits by massive circles or ellips.
But the model is never derived from the Newton's equation.
Should I see how to do that, I would be happy enough.

for your question. There are several references that are commonly cited as the best for nonrelativistic perihelion drift calculations. Some of the most reputable and widely used references include:

1. "The Motion of Mercury's Perihelion" by Albert Einstein (1915)
This is considered one of the seminal papers on the topic, as it was the first to introduce the concept of general relativity and its effects on the perihelion drift of Mercury. It is a bit technical, but is widely available online and in many physics textbooks.

2. "Theoretical Astrophysics: Volume 2, Stars and Stellar Systems" by T. Padmanabhan (2001)
This textbook has a comprehensive chapter on the classical calculation of perihelion drift, as well as a discussion on the corrections from general relativity. It is very clear and concise, and covers the topic in a thorough but accessible manner.

3. "Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity" by James B. Hartle (2003)
This textbook also has a chapter dedicated to the perihelion drift of Mercury and the effects of general relativity. It is written in a more conversational style and is very approachable for those without a strong background in physics.

4. "Celestial Mechanics and Dynamical Astronomy" by John Murray (2010)
This is another comprehensive textbook that covers the classical and relativistic calculations of perihelion drift. It is widely used in university courses and is available online.

I hope these references are helpful to you in your research on nonrelativistic perihelion drift. Happy reading!

Related to Nonrelativistic perihelion drift, best references ?

1. What is Nonrelativistic perihelion drift?

Nonrelativistic perihelion drift is a phenomenon observed in the motion of a planet or other celestial body around the Sun, where the perihelion (closest point to the Sun) gradually shifts over time. This drift can be caused by various factors such as the gravitational pull of other planets, the shape of the planet's orbit, and the effects of general relativity.

2. How is Nonrelativistic perihelion drift different from Relativistic perihelion shift?

Nonrelativistic perihelion drift and Relativistic perihelion shift are similar phenomena, but they differ in the magnitude of the observed drift. Nonrelativistic drift is caused by classical gravitational effects, while Relativistic shift takes into account the effects of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which predicts a larger shift in the perihelion due to the curvature of spacetime.

3. Can Nonrelativistic perihelion drift be observed in our solar system?

Yes, Nonrelativistic perihelion drift has been observed in our solar system for various planets, including Mercury, Venus, and Mars. The most notable observation is for Mercury, where the perihelion drift is significant and can be accurately predicted using general relativity.

4. Are there any notable references on Nonrelativistic perihelion drift?

Yes, there are several notable references that discuss Nonrelativistic perihelion drift, including "The Perihelion Shift of Mercury" by Albert Einstein, "Nonrelativistic gravitational perihelion drift and the classical tests of general relativity" by Clifford M. Will, and "General Relativity and John Wheeler" by Ignazio Ciufolini and John Archibald Wheeler.

5. How does Nonrelativistic perihelion drift affect our understanding of gravity?

Nonrelativistic perihelion drift has played a crucial role in confirming the predictions of general relativity, which is currently the most accurate theory of gravity we have. By observing the perihelion drift of planets like Mercury, we can validate the predictions of general relativity and gain a better understanding of the fundamental forces that govern the motion of celestial bodies in our universe.