1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonrelativistic perihelion drift, best references ?

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1
    Hello,

I have found several overviews on the classical perihelion drift calculation from the planets perturbations.
    However, I could not identify what the best reference would be.

I am -of course- interrested by those calculations that garantee a precision compatible with the discussion of the GR corrections.
    I would also prefer the clearest and most synthetic presentation.
    Finally, it would be nice if this paper would be available on the net. :rolleyes:

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2
    I am still interrested in a reference on the classical calculation of the perihelion drift of mercury.
    I took quite some time to Google for that and could not find what I am looking for.
    Very surprising.

I would just like to see the detailled analytical derivation for the perihelion drift.
    Starting from the equations of motion, detailling a perturbation theory and providing the end result.

I found several references modeling the perturbing planets orbits by massive circles or ellips.
    But the model is never derived from the Newton's equation.
    Should I see how to do that, I would be happy enough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?