Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonrelativistic perihelion drift, best references ?

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1

I have found several overviews on the classical perihelion drift calculation from the planets perturbations.
    However, I could not identify what the best reference would be.

I am -of course- interrested by those calculations that garantee a precision compatible with the discussion of the GR corrections.
    I would also prefer the clearest and most synthetic presentation.
    Finally, it would be nice if this paper would be available on the net. :rolleyes:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2
    I am still interrested in a reference on the classical calculation of the perihelion drift of mercury.
    I took quite some time to Google for that and could not find what I am looking for.
    Very surprising.

I would just like to see the detailled analytical derivation for the perihelion drift.
    Starting from the equations of motion, detailling a perturbation theory and providing the end result.

I found several references modeling the perturbing planets orbits by massive circles or ellips.
    But the model is never derived from the Newton's equation.
    Should I see how to do that, I would be happy enough.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?