Why is |sqrt(i)| = 1? (Imaginary Unit Explanation)

• Thread starter magnifik
  • Start date
In summary, the norm of a complex number is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its real and imaginary parts. When finding the norm of the imaginary unit i, it is important to recognize that the imaginary part is simply 1, making the norm sqrt(1) = 1. Another way to calculate the norm is by explicitly finding the square root of i and then finding the norm of this result, which will also equal 1."
magnifik
Why is |sqrt(i)| = 1? (where i is the imaginary unit)

I thought to find a norm you do sqrt(x^2 + y^2) so isn't it
sqrt(0 + sqrt(i)^2)
= sqrt(i)

??

What am I doing wrong here?

nvm, i got it...

Physics news on Phys.org
For anyone else reading this and curious about a similar issue, it is important that you recognize that y in the formula for the norm is simply the imaginary part of the complex number (which is real, of course).

Of course, the other way to calculate the norm is to explicitly find [itex]i^{1/2}[/itex] and find the norm of this. You will find that it is the same.

What is the definition of |sqrt(i)|?

The absolute value of the square root of i, also known as the modulus of the complex number i, is the distance of i from the origin on the complex plane. It is represented by |sqrt(i)| = 1.

Why does |sqrt(i)| equal 1?

The value of |sqrt(i)| is equal to 1 because the square root of i can be represented as the complex number 1i, which has a magnitude of 1 on the complex plane. As a result, the absolute value of |sqrt(i)| is also equal to 1.

What does |sqrt(i)| represent?

The absolute value of |sqrt(i)| represents the magnitude or distance of the complex number i from the origin on the complex plane. It is a measure of the absolute value of the imaginary component of i.

How is |sqrt(i)| related to the concept of imaginary numbers?

The value of |sqrt(i)| is closely related to the concept of imaginary numbers, as it represents the magnitude or distance of the complex number i on the complex plane. Imaginary numbers are essential in mathematics and physics, as they help to solve equations with no real solutions.

What are the practical applications of understanding |sqrt(i)|?

Understanding the absolute value of |sqrt(i)| and complex numbers in general has many practical applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. For example, it is used in electrical engineering to represent alternating currents and in signal processing to analyze signals. It also has applications in quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics, and other areas of science and technology.