1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal Force & Weight

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 40.0 kg crate is being lowered by means of a rope. Its downward acceleration is 2.00 m/s2. What is the force exerted by the rope on the crate?

2. Relevant equations
    Weight = mass(gravity)
    Force = mass(acceleration)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved it (look at attached picture), but my answer is wrong, because the book says the answer is: 312 N. I think that I may have drawn the free-body diagram wrong; would someone please tell me where I went wrong in my free-body diagram?

Thank you so much :) I have a test in six days & this problem will more than likely, be on it :/

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2
    Well You know the the acceleration from gravity is -9.8. The actual acceleration is -2. The tension force has to account for this difference.

I can't see the free body diagram yet but the book's answer is correct.

4. Oct 10, 2009 #3
    Ahhh! Stupid mistake...I was forgetting to make the acceleration caused by gravity negative! :O
    Thank you so much! :)

Also, I have no idea how to mark this thread "SOLVED!" I even looked in "Thread Tools" & didn't see anything ://

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook