Normal incidence of a plane polarized wave through multiple mediums

In summary: You can just ignore everything after the summary.In summary, the wave travels through four different mediums, suffering reflection in the first three but not the last one. The reflection indexes of the three mediums are real, but the amplitudes in the fourth medium are complex. Eulers equation is used to calculate the real and imaginary components of the amplitudes in the fourth medium.
DannyJ108
Homework Statement
Find the amplitudes of the wave in each medium
Relevant Equations
##E_i = E_i e^{-jK_i z} +E^'_i e^{jK_i z}##
Hello everybody,

I have to find the amplitudes of a wave that goes through 4 different mediums in terms of ##E_0##, suffering reflection in the first three but not the last one. I calculated the corresponding reflection indexes of the three mediums (all of them real).
Following calculations, I find that the first and second amplitudes are real, but I get that the ones in the third and last medium are complex. I developed Eulers equation ##e^{jx}## and got a real and imaginary component for these amplitudes. Is this correct? Or how can I interpret this?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write the reflection equation that you are using? And what are the dielectric constants of each medium? Can you show your calculations in detail? (preferably using LaTeX) Thank you.

Assuming the wave travels in direction ##z## and ##E## in direction ##x##, and ##H## in direction ##y##, putting the system reference ##z=0## at the first boundary between mediums 0 and 1, and being:

##Medium 1 = 2cm##
##Medium 2 =3 cm##
##Medium 3 = Indefinite##

For mediums 0-3 (being ##n_0=1## (air), ##n_1=3, n_2=2, n_3=1##), just substitute ##i## for each medium:

## E_{ix} = E_i e^{-jK_iz} + E^{'}_i e^{jK_iz}##
## H_{iy} = \frac {E_i} {\eta_i}e^{-jK_iz} + \frac {E^{'}_i} {\eta_i}e^{jK_iz}##

For medium 4 (no reflection):

## E_{3x} = E_3 e^{-jK_3z}##
## H_{3y} = \frac {E_3} {\eta_3}e^{-jK_3z}##

Using the following and taking d as 0,01 m:

##\rho_{01}= \left. \frac {E^{'}_0 e^{jK_0z}} {E_0 e^{-jK_0z}} \right|_{z=0} \Rightarrow E^{'}_0 = E_0 \rho_{01}##
##\rho_{12}= \left. \frac {E^{'}_1 e^{jK_1z}} {E_1 e^{-jK_1z}} \right|_{z=2d} \Rightarrow E^{'}_1 = E_1 \rho_{12} e^{-4jK_1d}##
##\rho_{23}= \left. \frac {E^{'}_2 e^{jK_2z}} {E_2 e^{-jK_2z}} \right|_{z=5d} \Rightarrow E^{'}_2 = E_2 \rho_{23} e^{-10jK_1d}##

Aplying continuity conditions ##E_i(z)=E_{i+1}(z)## at ##z=0, z=2d, z=5d## and solving the equation systems, I get that the reflection coefficients are:

##\rho_{01}= - \frac 1 2##
##\rho_{12}= \frac 1 2##
##\rho_{23}= \frac 1 3##

Taking into account that ##k_i = \frac \omega {v_i}##, operating using relations between ##\eta, \epsilon, c## and ##n##, I can figure out each ##k##.
So, substituting in my ##E^{'}_0, E^{'}_1, E^{'}_2## formulas and then in the field equations I get:

## E_{0x} = E_0 e^{-jK_0z} - \frac {E_0} 2 e^{jK_0z}##
## H_{0y} = \frac {E_0} {\eta_0}e^{-jK_0z} + \frac {E_0} {2 \eta_i}e^{jK_0z}##

## E_{1x} = E_1 e^{-jK_1z} + \frac {E_1} 2 e^{jK_1z}##
## H_{1y} = \frac {E_1} {\eta_1}e^{-jK_1z} - \frac {E_1} {2 \eta_i}e^{jK_1z}##

## E_{2x} = E_2 e^{-jK_2z} + \frac {E_2} 3 \left(- \frac 1 2 -j \frac {\sqrt3} 2 \right)e^{jK_2z}##
## H_{1y} = \frac {E_2} {\eta_2}e^{-jK_2z} -\frac {E_2} {3 \eta_2} \left(- \frac 1 2 -j \frac {\sqrt3} 2 \right)e^{jK_2z}##

## E_{3x} = E_3 e^{-jK_3z} ##
## H_{3y} = \frac {E_3} {\eta_3}e^{-jK_3z} ##

So applying again continuityconditions, but with these equations at the layer boundaries, I get that the amplitudes in terms of ##E_0## are:

##E_1= \frac {E_0} 3##
##E_2= - \frac 3 {16} E_0 (1+j\sqrt3)##
##E_3 = \frac {E_0} 4 (-1 +j\sqrt3)##

I don't know if this is correct or not.
I'm so frustrated with this exercise, I can't figure out if this is correct and don't know how to interpret it or if it's plain wrong. Please help. I put a lot of effort into writing all this in LaTex, didn't have much idea how to first. Thank you in advance kind sir!

No worries. I found the solution on my own

Likes berkeman

1. What is normal incidence?

Normal incidence refers to the angle at which a wave approaches a boundary between two mediums. It is the angle at which the wave is perpendicular to the boundary, meaning it is traveling directly towards it.

2. What is a plane polarized wave?

A plane polarized wave is a type of electromagnetic wave in which the electric field oscillates in a single plane. This means that the wave is traveling in a specific direction and the electric field is only varying in one direction.

3. What happens to a plane polarized wave when it passes through multiple mediums?

When a plane polarized wave passes through multiple mediums, its direction of propagation may change, depending on the angle of incidence and the refractive indices of the mediums. The wave may also experience a change in its polarization state.

4. How does normal incidence affect the transmission of a plane polarized wave?

Normal incidence plays a crucial role in the transmission of a plane polarized wave. If the wave is incident at an angle other than the normal, it may experience a change in direction and polarization as it passes through different mediums. However, if the wave is incident at the normal, it will continue to travel in a straight line with no change in direction or polarization.

5. What is the relationship between the refractive indices of the mediums and the transmission of a plane polarized wave?

The refractive indices of the mediums determine how much the wave will be bent as it passes through them. The greater the difference in refractive indices between the two mediums, the greater the change in direction and polarization of the wave. This is known as the law of refraction or Snell's law.