Normal line to a tangent plane

In summary, the two problems involve finding the parametric equation for the normal line to the tangent plane. In the first problem, the normal line is found using the parametric equations x=-3+(3t/4), y=0, z=4-t while in the second problem, the normal line is found using the parametric equations x=2+t, y=2+t, z=1+2t. These equations may differ depending on the length and direction of the normal vector, and parametric equations are not unique. Additionally, the structure of the equation (whether it is in the form of f(x,y) or f(x,y,z)) can affect the parametric equations for the normal line.
tsw303

Homework Statement

I have two problems that don't seem to match. The task is to find the parametric equation for the normal line to the tangent plane. I'm seeing that the vector value of "z" is (-1) with one formula, but not in the other. These two seem to be the same, but the first was solved implicitly in the book (?) and arrived at (-1). The second was solved easily with the second formula, but arrived at a unique value for z.

The normal line to (x^2)+(y^2)+(z^2)=25 at p(-3,0,4)
is x=-3+(3t/4) y=0 z=4-t

The normal line to (x^2)+(y^2)+4(z^2)=12 at p(2,2,1)
is x=2+t y=2+t z= 1+2t

Homework Equations

when z=f(x.,y.)+fx(x.,y)(x-x.)+f(x.,y.)(y-y.)
it makes sense that z= f(x.,y.)-t

when fx(x.,y.,z.)(x-x.)+fy(x.,y.,z.)(y-y.)+fz(x.,y.,z.)(z-z.)=0
different values for z seem ok, such as z= z.+fz(x.,y.,z.)

The Attempt at a Solution

The two problems seem like they are nearly the same and should both be solved with the second formula. I'm completely lost trying to figure out what I'm missing.

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
tsw303 said:

Homework Statement

I have two problems that don't seem to match. The task is to find the parametric equation for the normal line to the tangent plane. I'm seeing that the vector value of "z" is (-1) with one formula, but not in the other. These two seem to be the same, but the first was solved implicitly in the book (?) and arrived at (-1). The second was solved easily with the second formula, but arrived at a unique value for z.

The normal line to (x^2)+(y^2)+(z^2)=25 at p(-3,0,4)
is x=-3+(3t/4) y=0 z=4-t

The normal line to (x^2)+(y^2)+4(z^2)=12 at p(2,2,1)
is x=2+t y=2+t z= 1+2t
You don't say what formulas you are using! Also I have no idea what you mean by a "vector value of -1".

In my opinion, the simplest way to do such a problem is to treat the surface as a "level surface". We can thinkg of the first as a level surface for [itex]\ph(x,y,z)= x^2+ y^2+ z^2[/itex] and then we know that the [itex]\nabla\phi= 2x\vec{i}+ 2y\vec{j}+ 2z\vec{k}[/itex] is normal to the surface and so normal to the tangent plane. At (-3, 0, 4) that is [itex]-6/vec{i}+ 8\vec{k}[/itex] and so has parametric equations x= -3- 3t, y= 0, z= 4+ 8t. Of course, the "length" of the vector, and whether it is pointing "up" or "down" is irrelevant so you could divide that normal vector by -8, getting [itex]3/4\vec{i}+ \vec{k}[/itex] which gives the parametric equations x= -3+ (3/4)t, y= 0, z= 4- t, the equations you have. If, in the second set of equations, you replace t by 4s, you get the first set of equations.

Similarly, the normal vector to [itex]\phi(x,y,z)= x^2+ y^2+ 4z^2= 12[/itex] is [itex]\nabla \phi= 2x\vec{i}+ 2y\vec{j}+ 8z\vec{k}[/itex]. At (2, 2, 1) that is [itex]4\vec{i}+ 4\vec{j}+ 8\vec{k} so the parametric equations can be written x= 2+ 4t, y= 2+ 4t, z= 1+ 8t. Or we could divide the normal vector by 2 getting a normal vector of [itex]2\vec{i}+ 2\vec{j}+ 4\vec{k} and parametric equations x= 2+ 2t, y= 2+ 2t, z= 1+ 4t, as you give.

Remember that parametric equations are not unique. A single line (or curve) can be parameterized in many different ways.

Homework Equations

when z=f(x.,y.)+fx(x.,y)(x-x.)+f(x.,y.)(y-y.)
it makes sense that z= f(x.,y.)-t

when fx(x.,y.,z.)(x-x.)+fy(x.,y.,z.)(y-y.)+fz(x.,y.,z.)(z-z.)=0
different values for z seem ok, such as z= z.+fz(x.,y.,z.)

The Attempt at a Solution

The two problems seem like they are nearly the same and should both be solved with the second formula. I'm completely lost trying to figure out what I'm missing.

Thank You.

Thank You.
Now that you mentioned the length and direction of the vector, I can understand the answers in my text-book (such as dividing by 4 or -8). I initially got the same answers as you (but in the first, isn't it x=-3 -6t ?). Is "veci" the unit vector i ?

However, where I'm really stumped (I need to take better notes in class): I thought my teacher said that, in the equation for the normal line, "z" defaults to z=f(x.,y.)-t instead of z= z.+fz(x.,y.,z.)t . Maybe that is only for f(x,y) and not for f(x,y,z)?

... I may have just figured it out.
I am confused about the normal line to the tangent plane because when the equation is f(x,y), x=x.+fx(x.,y.)t , y=y.+fy(x.y.)t , yet z=f(x.,y.)-t . When the equation is in the form of f(x,y,z), I guess "z" must be the same as "x" and "y" such that z=z.+fz(x.,y.,z.)t . It must be the structure of the equation and what happens when everything is moved to one side.

1. What is the definition of a normal line to a tangent plane?

A normal line to a tangent plane is a straight line that is perpendicular to the tangent plane at a specific point on the surface of a three-dimensional object.

2. How is the normal line to a tangent plane calculated?

The normal line to a tangent plane is calculated by finding the cross product of the tangent vector and the normal vector of the surface at the given point. This results in a vector that is perpendicular to both the tangent plane and the surface.

3. What is the purpose of finding the normal line to a tangent plane?

The normal line to a tangent plane is used to determine the direction of the surface's normal vector at a specific point. This information is crucial in many applications, such as in computer graphics and engineering, where the orientation of a surface is important.

4. Can there be more than one normal line to a tangent plane at a single point?

No, there can only be one normal line to a tangent plane at a specific point on a surface. This is because the tangent plane and the surface's normal vector are unique at that point.

5. How is the concept of normal line to a tangent plane used in real-world scenarios?

The concept of normal line to a tangent plane is used in various fields, such as in computer-aided design (CAD) to create 3D models, in physics to understand the behavior of light and sound waves, and in robotics to program the movement of robotic arms along a curved surface.