Calculating RI of Oil w.r.t Air with Apparent Depth of Liquid

In summary, the apparent depth of the liquid is 36/7 cm. The oil's refractive index is 1.7 with respect to air.
Suraj M
Gold Member

Homework Statement

This is how my teacher dictated the question...
---A layer of oil 3 cm thick is floating on a layer of coloured water 5 cm thick, the RI of the coloured water with respect to the oil is ##\frac{5}{3}##. The apparent depth of the liquid is ##\frac{36}{7} cm##. What is the RI of oil(with respect to air).

Homework Equations

##d' = \frac{d}{n}##
n is RI

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what my teacher told us to do, after we tried to do it.
$$\frac{36}{7} = \frac{d_{oil}}{n_{oil ~w.r.t~ air}} + \frac{d_{water}}{ n_{water~ w.r.t~ oil}}$$
solving this we get ##n_{oil} = \frac{7}{5}##
I have a feeling this is wrong, though my teacher says it is right.
Particularly in the place where we use ##n_{water ~wrt~ oil}## wouldn't this actually mean that the level of water is being viewed from the oíl. Which is not the case.
I thought maybe if we took ##n_{water ~wrt~ air}## we might get the answer but I'm starting to think., even that won't give me the answer.
could you point me in the right direction..
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Suraj M said:
...wouldn't this actually mean that the level of water is being viewed from the oíl. Which is not the case.
But isn't it the case?

Suraj M said:

Homework Statement

This is how my teacher dictated the question...
---A layer of oil 3 cm thick is floating on a layer of coloured water 5 cm thick, the RI of the coloured water with respect to the oil is ##\frac{5}{3}##. The apparent depth of the liquid is ##\frac{36}{7} cm##. What is the RI of oil(with respect to air).

Homework Equations

##d' = \frac{d}{n}##
n is RI

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what my teacher told us to do, after we tried to do it.
$$\frac{36}{7} = \frac{d_{oil}}{n_{oil ~w.r.t~ air}} + \frac{d_{water}}{ n_{water~ w.r.t~ oil}}$$
solving this we get ##n_{oil} = \frac{7}{5}##
I have a feeling this is wrong, though my teacher says it is right.
Particularly in the place where we use ##n_{water ~wrt~ oil}## wouldn't this actually mean that the level of water is being viewed from the oíl. Which is not the case.
I thought maybe if we took ##n_{water ~wrt~ air}## we might get the answer but I'm starting to think., even that won't give me the answer.
could you point me in the right direction..
thank you
Your teacher is wrong, and your suggestion is correct (why do you think that is wrong too?)

haruspex said:
and your suggestion is correct (why do you think that is wrong too?)
It was more of a guess.. well look at this...
WIN_20150408_184544.JPG

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/81681
WIN_20150408_184608.JPG

so the d₃ we find is not d'..
d₃ is different from d₂because we are considering RI of water wrt air.. and hence the refracted ray goes in a different path..
Is this argument valid??

Last edited:
paisiello2 said:
But isn't it the case?
no its being viewed from the air through the oil..

Suraj M said:
and hence the refracted ray goes in a different path..
Is this argument valid??
I haven't tried to follow all that, but it's easy to show the teacher's answer is wrong. Consider what happens as the depth of oil tends to zero. According to your teacher's answer an infinitesimal layer of oil radically alters the apparent depth.

To get the right answer, work in terms of images. Viewed from within the oil, just below the air boundary, the image is at depth doil+dwater/noil-water. Multiply that appropriately to get the apparent depth of that image when viewed from just above the boundary.

I think i get the idea, if i try considering the oil surface, the equation reduces to the same equation we get when we directly use the ##n_{water~wrt~air}##
Thank you..

Likes Rohit H
Come to class, I will teach you !

Rohit H said:
Come to class, I will teach you !
See post #7

1. What is the formula for calculating the refractive index of oil with respect to air?

The formula for calculating the refractive index of oil with respect to air is n = sin(angle of incidence)/sin(angle of refraction).

2. How is the apparent depth of liquid used in the calculation of refractive index?

The apparent depth of liquid is used to determine the angle of refraction in the formula for calculating refractive index. This angle is necessary to calculate the refractive index of the oil with respect to air.

3. What is the significance of calculating the refractive index of oil with respect to air?

Calculating the refractive index of oil with respect to air can help determine the purity and composition of the oil. It can also be used in various industries, such as the food and pharmaceutical industries, to ensure quality control.

4. Can the refractive index of oil with respect to air change?

Yes, the refractive index of oil with respect to air can change depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and the composition of the oil. It is important to take these variables into account when conducting the calculation.

5. How is the refractive index of oil with respect to air measured?

The refractive index of oil with respect to air is measured using a refractometer. This device measures the angle of refraction and calculates the refractive index using the formula mentioned in the first question.